Private Tour: Chengdu Panda Base And Leshan Grand Buddha
OverviewVisit two of China's top attractions on this private full-day tour to the Chengdu Panda Base and the UNESCO World Heritagelisted Grand Buddha in Leshan. Get an early start to see the pandas in action and enjoy photo ops of baby and adult panda bears. Then travel to Leshan for a guided tour of the Grand Buddha, the worlds biggest stone Buddha sculpture. Visit the Buddhas adjacent temples, and admire the surrounding scenery of rivers and forest. Travel in comfort with a private guide and driver; lunch is included.
- All entrance fees included
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Instant Confirmation
- Lunch included
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
Know More about this tourYour day trip starts with hotel pickup by your private guide and driver. Head directly to the Chengdu Panda Base (aka the Panda Breeding Center, officially known as the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding), located about 45 minutes outside of central Chengdu.
Arrive at the center before feeding time to observe the beloved bears when they are at their most active. Your guide leads you through different areas to see baby and adult giant pandas, as well as red pandas, cat-like animals that are not closely related to giant pandas but are still pretty cute. Learn about the protection of panda bears in the wild and recent achievements in breeding, feeding and reintroduction to the wilderness.
Next up, leave the panda base and take in the scenery during the 2-hour drive to Leshan, where you'll have lunch at a local restaurant before visiting the Grand Buddha, part of a UNESCO World Heritage site inscribed as 'Mount Emei Scenic Area, including Leshan Giant Buddha Scenic Area.'
Work started on the Grand Buddha in the year 713 and was completed in 803 after several delays. Carved out of a cliff next to the confluence of the Minjiang, Dadu and Qingyi rivers, the massive sculpture stands 233 feet (71 meters) high and measures 92 feet (28 meters) wide. It is the largest carved stone Buddha in the world by far.
Begin your tour of the site at the Grand Buddha Temple (Lingyun Temple), which sits behind the Buddhas giant head (as you approach, note the statues hair, which includes approximately 1,020 coiled buns). Inside the temple, view intricate sculptures and wall decorations, and then follow your guide down a trail that leads to the base of the Buddha. The walk takes about 30 minutes, depending on how many rest and photo stops you make. Take in the enormity of the Buddha from below before ascending the steps on the opposite side; at the top of the steps sits Wuyou Temple, where you can admire numerous Buddhist artifacts and the many statues of Arhat Hall.
When you leave the Grand Buddha park, you have the option to take a 30-minute boat ride on the river for great views of the Buddha from the water (own expense). Then head back to Chengdu, where your day trip ends with hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Chengdu Panda Base And Leshan Grand Buddha
- Entrance fees
- Private guide
- Private vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Private Tour: Chengdu Panda Base And Leshan Grand Buddha
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Optional boat ride in Leshan ($12 per person)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
Drop-off at the Chengdu airport is possible at the end of your tour; if you would like to be dropped off at the airport, contact the local tour operator after booking; contact information will be on your confirmation voucher
Infants one year and younger are free of charge
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private 4-Day Emeishan Hiking and Jiayang Steam Train Tour
- Sichuan Gourmet Food Tour from Chengdu
- Day Tour: Chengdu Giant Panda Bear Research Center and Leshan Grand Buddha
- Chengdu Private Tour of Dujiangyan Panda Base And Qingcheng Hot Springs Including Lunch
- Chengdu Day Tour of Tasting Sichuan Cuisine and Experiencing Local Life
- Experience Chengdu: Sichuan Cooking Class