Private Tour: Chennai Sightseeing Including Fort St George And Government Museum
OverviewOn this private sightseeing tour of Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu, discover the citys architectural diversity with visits to popular landmarks including Fort St George, the Government Museum, the Madras High Court and the Ripon Building. As you explore this bustling metropolis and cultural hub, your private guide will teach you about the fusion of traditional Dravidian (South Indian) styles of architecture with European colonial influences. Youll also discover Chennai's religious diversity while exploring San Thome Cathedral and Kapaleeshwar Temple, and soak in the vibrant beauty of the city with a stroll through a flower market.
- All entrance fees included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- All-inclusive tour
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Hotel pickup included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Lunch included
- Led by a local guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
Know More about this tourAfter pickup from your hotel in the morning by air-conditioned vehicle, your private guide will take you on journey through Chennai, a bustling cultural hub thats the capital of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. On your tour of the citys architectural landmarks, discover the mix of traditional Dravidian styles with European colonial influences while enjoying your guide's illuminating commentary, as well as fun facts and trivia.
Visit Fort St George, the first English fortress in India, founded in 1644. It now serves as the headquarters for Tamil Nadus legislative assembly. Inside, tour St Mary's Church, Wellesley House and the Fort Museum, whose exhibits showcase relics from British rule in India including weapons, coins, medals and uniforms.
Head to the Indo-Saracenic-style Government Museum (also called the Madras Museum), the second-oldest museum in India housing the largest collection of Roman antiquities outside of Europe. With your guide, browse diverse exhibits of archaeological findings, coins, sculptures, palm-leaf manuscripts and Amravati paintings, as well as rare works from artists like Raja Ravi Varma.
Continue to San Thome Cathedral, built in the 16th century by Portuguese explorers and rebuilt by the British in 1893. Admire its Neo-Gothic style of architecture as you learn about its historical significance from your guide.
In between sightseeing, youll head to a local restaurant to indulge in an authentic Indian meal served on a banana leaf.
Then, experience Indias religious heritage at Kapaleeshwar Temple, dedicated to the Hindu goddess Shiva and built in the 7th century. See its imposing gopuram (ornate monumental tower) and learn how this is a fine example of Dravidian architecture.
Youll also visit the Indo-Saracenic-style Madras High Court, with beautiful painted ceilings and stained-glass doors, as well as the Ripon Building, combining three types of architecture: Gothic, Ionic and Corinthian.
Before returning to your hotel, drive along Marina Beach and visit a flower market, where youll take a leisurely stroll and see a variety of bright, colorful flowers and fruit.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Chennai Sightseeing Including Fort St George And Government Museum
- Entrance fees to all site attractions
- Local English-speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
Exclusions for Private Tour: Chennai Sightseeing Including Fort St George And Government Museum
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.