Private Tour: Dunedin To The CatlinsWrite a Review
From USD 549.51
OverviewThe Catlins is a magical part of the south island where waterfalls, deserted golden beaches, coastal rain forest and rare wildlife can be found. Your private day tour will take you on an unforgettable journey where you'll learn about the indigenous people, early European settlers and see some of NZ's most spectacular scenery. Your guide has a Department of Conservation concession allowing you the best possible experience.This is the perfect day trip for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and immerse themselves in the beauty of the Catlins.
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Small group ensures personal service
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tourThis 10-hour personalized tour of the Otago Peninsula and the Catlins begins with pickup from your Dunedin accommodation in the morning by private vehicle. You'll meander south along a scenic route through the seaside village of Brighton before stopping at the mouth of the Taieri River for photos. Continuing on, your guide passes through Waihola and Balclutha en route to Owaka — gateway to the Catlins.
Your first short walk takes you to Nugget Point, perhaps the most recognizable landform of the Otago coastline. Your guide will point out rugged rocks likened to gold nuggets where New Zealand fur seals and seabirds can be viewed. If you visit between December and February it is often possible to spot elephant seals from the viewing platform.
Continuing south, your next stop is a favorite bay for Hooker's sea lions. After being hunted to near extinction, only about 200 remain on the mainland, and you may get as close as 33 feet (10 meters) for a close look at these rare marine mammals.
After driving through native coastal rainforest, hike past ancient trees to the highest waterfall in the Catlins. Learn to identify bush birds and native plants en route to McLean Falls, arguably the most stunning of the cascades. Further south you have the opportunity to see one of the rarest and smallest dolphins in the world, the Hector’s dolphin, from a vantage point. The nutrient-rich waters attract them to one of the bays during the warmer months.
Enjoy light refreshments before a final stop at a unique petrified forest; at low tide the fossilized remains of an ancient forest can be seen. Your tour concludes with the return trip to Dunedin or an optional drop-off in Invercargill or the Stewart Island Ferry Terminal.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Dunedin To The Catlins
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- National Park fees
- Light refreshments
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Private Tour: Dunedin To The Catlins
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Comfortable walking shoes recommended
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.