Private Tour: Full Day From Guangzhou Visiting Kaiping Diaolou And Chikan Town
OverviewVisit Kaiping City to see the UNESCO World Heritage listed Diaolou fortified structures, enjoy visiting the private gardens and homes and explore the watchtowers and buildings in Zilicun Village. After lunch at a local restaurant visit the unique terraced houses along the Tan River at Chikan Ancient Town.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Lunch included
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Separate driver ensures your guides full attention throughout the day
- Day trip (destination A to B)
Know More about this tour
You will be met in the lobby of your Guangzhou hotel at 0800 by your private tour guide and driver. Relax in your air conditioned car as you leave the city for the 2 hour journey to Kaiping City.
The oldest of the villages still preserved in Kaiping City date back to the 14thcentury with the fortified diaolou dating back to the 16thcentury. These unique buildings were originally intended to protect the inhabitants from attacks by bandits, although later in the late 19thand early 20thcenturies they became more decorative than defensive.The Kaiping Diaolou and Villageswere all UNESCO World Heritage Listed in 2007 and there are still over 1,800 good examples of diaolou still remaining around the Kaiping region.
The diaolous are a mixture of Baroque, Romanesque, Islamic and Rococo styles, with very narrow windows and doors providing a good view of the surrounding countryside, each topped by a watchtower. Most are built of stone but some of concrete and although the buildings are very western looking from the outside, inside they are very traditionally Chinese. You will visit several of the diaolou clusters including one of the largest at Zilicun where there are three types of diaolou, those built by a number of families to provide communal protection, individual ones built by rich families and heavily fortified and tall watchtowers.
After lunch at a local restaurant continue your journey toChikan Ancient Townlocated on the Tan River, a tributary of the Pearl River. The town started to develop in the 13thcentury and originally during the Ming Dynasty it was where merchant ships from many countries would come to access the different cities in the region. Later with the development of roads the town became less important as a trading hub.
The impressive aspect of Chikan is the terraced arcades of buildings known as qilou in Chinese. Along the Tan River there are some fine examples of these still remaining from the early 20thcentury. The style and age of the Chikan buildings and their location on the waterfront has made it a favoured location set for movie makers.
From Chikan return to your Guangzhou hotel where your tour ends.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Full Day From Guangzhou Visiting Kaiping Diaolou And Chikan Town
- Chinese lunch is served in a local restaurant
- An English-speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Round-trip private transfer
Exclusions for Private Tour: Full Day From Guangzhou Visiting Kaiping Diaolou And Chikan Town
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Guangzhou Night Tour
- Shimen National Park and Biquan Air Hot Spring Day Trip from Guangzhou
- Cantonese brunch and a private biking tour in art zone
- All Inclusive Private Day Trip to Danxia and Nanhua Monastery by Bullet Train from Guangzhou
- Buffet Dinner at Canton Tower Revolving Restaurant with Pearl River Night Cruise
- Diandoude Dim Sum Dinner with Pearl River Night Cruise in Guangzhou
- Bachelor's KTV Night Tour with Dim Sum Dinner in Guangzhou
- Pearl River Night Cruise in Guangzhou with Private Transfer