OverviewTravel to the village of Hallstatt in the stunningly scenic Austrian Lake District (Salzkammergut) on this private tour from Salzburg. Admire amazing views of Dachstein Mountain on your way to Hallstatt, a UNESCO World Heritage Site linked to several ancient cultures. Learn the history of this culturally significant area from your knowledgeable guide. You can take a mountain train up to the world's oldest salt mine for incredible views, stroll around Lake Hallstatt, admire the Mühlbach Waterfall and discover the remarkable Beinhaus (Bone House). Being on a private tour makes for a more flexible, intimate experience.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Get inside tips from a local
Know More about this tourAfter pickup from your hotel, travel for approximately 1 hour by Mercedes E-Class or minivan, passing the ski resort towns of Russbach and Abtenau on your way to Gosau. Marvel at phenomenal views of the Dachstein, a famous Alpine peak that rises to an elevation of 9,826 feet (2,995 meters) before continuing on to Hallstatt in upper Austria. Since your tour is private, feel free to tell your guide where you’d like to spend more time and ask as many questions as you like.
Your guide will explain the immense cultural significance of Hallstatt, an old salt mining town that has been linked to prehistoric Celtic peoples. Because of the ancient area's rich stores of natural salt, it is one of the first places humans are known to have settled.
In Hallstatt, consult with your guide to decide on your sightseeing itinerary and explore on your own for half an hour if you wish. You can travel by mountain train up to the world's oldest salt mine (entry at own expense) and take in picture-postcard views of the town below. Take a walk around Lake Hallstatt and observe how the houses above you cling to the mountainside. Admire the Mühlbach Waterfall cascading down the mountain and take a scenic boat ride out on the lake (own expense).
Check out the incredible Beinhaus (Bone House) behind the Catholic church (own expense), a fascinating collection of 1,200 painted human skulls. When Hallstatt ran out of burial grounds in the 1700s, corpses were exhumed and the skulls were decorated to preserve the memory of the deceased.
Relax and capture lovely photos on the drive back to Salzburg. Your 5-hour customizable private tour of Hallstatt and the gorgeous Austrian countryside concludes with drop-off at your Salzburg hotel.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Hallstatt Tour From Salzburg
- Private tour
- Transport by private minivan or Mercedes E-Class
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
Exclusions for Private Tour: Hallstatt Tour From Salzburg
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.