From USD 65
OverviewWith a knowledgeable guide by your side during this full-day private tour, see Vietnamese military bases, and meet local people who survived the Vietnam War along with those who grew up in the postwar years. You have the option of visiting Long Tan and the Nui Dat Task Force Base (site of diggers, or Aussie soldiers) or Bien Hoa Air Base and Long Binh Junction (site of GIs, or American soldiers). Includes lunch and round-trip hotel transport by private minivan from Ho Chi Minh City.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Instant Confirmation
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- All entrance fees included
- Lunch included
- Snacks and Beverages included
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
Know More about this tour
This full-day private tour, which can be tailored to ex-GIs and ex-diggers who fought on the battlefields in the Vietnam War, takes you to your choice of sites where you'll meet people who either survived the war or came of age in the postwar years. Whether you're an American or Aussie veteran, or a history buff with an interest in war sites and artifacts, you’ll see Vietnam as it is today.
Visit Long Tan and Nui Dat, key sites of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps’ involvement in the Vietnam War, or opt for a tour of Bien Hoa and Long Binh, which were both major bases used by the US Army. (See details in Itinerary below.)
Inclusions for Private Tour: Historic ANZAC Sites And Vietnam War Military Bases From Ho Chi Minh City
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned private car
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Bottled water
Exclusions for Private Tour: Historic ANZAC Sites And Vietnam War Military Bases From Ho Chi Minh City
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
Option 1: Long Tan and Nui Dat Task Force Base
After hotel pickup in Ho Chi Minh CIty, your first stop on this full-day private tour is the former site of Australia’s Nui Dat Task Force Base (Nui Dat SAS Hill).
Because the ANZAC occupation of Nui Dat required the removal of all inhabitants from within a 2.5-mile (4-km) radius of the base, the people of Long Tan and Long Phuoc villages were forcibly resettled. In the late afternoon of August 18, 1966, D Company, 6th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment — despite being heavily outnumbered — fought off a large Viet Cong assault of regimental strength during a grueling 3-hour battle.
Little remains of this military camp today except the columns of the main gate. Your guide will show you the former runway, now a street in the local village, and the old helipad, which now functions as a soccer field.
Afterward, drive past the location of Horseshoe Fire Support Base (access is not permitted due to the continued presence of land mines) to the Discourtesy Rubber Plantation.
Visit the Long Tan Cross Memorial, a focal point for remembrance, before continuing on to the Long Phuoc Tunnels. Like other tunnel systems found in Vietnam, Long Phuoc included meeting areas, first aid stations and fighting pits underground.
Hear fascinating commentary from your guide as you explore each site and drive to Ba Ria for lunch before returning to Ho Chi Minh City, with drop-off at your hotel.
Option 2: Bien Hoa Air Base and Long Binh Junction
After morning pickup at your hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, depart via National Road 1A to Bien Hoa city, before turning toward the former Bien Hoa Air Base, which was used by the US Army from 1961 to 1973.
Because the base itself is closed to the public, your guide takes you around its perimeter to view what remains, such as the main gate and collapsed walls. Then stroll uphill to nearby Buu Phong Pagoda, where you can get a panoramic view of the air base from a higher elevation via provided binoculars.
Take a break for lunch at a local restaurant before driving back to Bien Hoa city with your guide. You’ll see changes between the past and the present, making short stops at places that were once snack bars for US pilots in wartime.
Your final stop is the former Long Binh Post (also known as Long Binh Junction), which functioned as a US Army base, logistics center and major command headquarters for the United States Army Vietnam (USARV) during the war.
After your full-day tour, head back to Ho Chi Minh City and your hotel by late afternoon.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.