Private Tour: London Walking Tour Of Apsley House And The Victoria And Albert Museum
OverviewYour tour begins at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London's Victorian center of art and crafts dedicated to the royal couple. Now a museum of arts from all countries, styles and periods. Apart from the main collection of oil paintings and watercolours (with emphasis on the British ones and a collection of Constable's oil sketches), sculpture and architectural examples, the museum contains the world's finest collection of applied arts such as weapons and armours, bronzes and carpets etc. Visit the famous Cartoons for tapestries which Raphael created for Pope Leo X and the recently refurbished Renaissance and Medieval Galleries
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Led by an art historian
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tourWalking along Knightsbridge, London's famous shopping center where Harrods is located, you will reach No.1 London, the name given to Apsley house. Built by Adams in 1775 for Baron Apsley and acquired by the Duke of Wellington in 1817, he aggrandized the house with the help of architect Wyatt who gave it the Corinthian temple front and faced it in gold bath stone. It became the grand mansion of the Duke of Wellington, the victor of Napoleon. You will find the treasures regaled to the Duke by the European Monarchs returned to their thrones after the defeat of Napoleon. As you enter the house in the inner hall is the nude marble statue by Canova of Napoleon in the guise of Apollo. See silver and porcelain sets, jewels and snuff boxes surrounded by the Duke's furniture. Upstairs are the paintings which he collected and the old masters from the Royal Spanish collection found in Giuseppe Bonaparte's coach as he was abandoning Madrid. These were given to Wellington by the King of Spain. Among them are paintings by Velazquez, Rubens, Murillo, Ribera and Goya.(On Mondays and Tuesdays when Apsley House is closed more time will be spent in the V&A Museum.)
This private tour is hosted by a professional guide specializing in art history. Please list any special interests you have (art, architecture, history) at time of booking to alert our guide so that he or she can better prepare for your private tour.
Please note: Apsley House will be closed until March 31, 2015, more time will be spent at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Inclusions for Private Tour: London Walking Tour Of Apsley House And The Victoria And Albert Museum
- Entrance fees
- Private tour
- Walking tour
- Professional art historian guide
Exclusions for Private Tour: London Walking Tour Of Apsley House And The Victoria And Albert Museum
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Apsley House is closed during the week from November 1 until March 31, more time will be spent at the V&A museum
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Small-Group Dessert Walking Tour in London
- West End Musical Theatre Walking Tour in London
- Private Transfer: London to Oxford Bicester Village for Shopping for Up to 4 Passengers
- London Photography Tour at Night
- London St Pancras Eurostar Private Arrival Transfer
- Buckingham Palace Tour Including Afternoon Tea