Private Tour: Madrid Walking Tour Of Los Austrias
OverviewGet to know Madrid’s vibrant Los Austrias neighborhood on a 2.5-hour walking tour, led by a private guide! Often called Habsburg’s Madrid in reference to the many monuments left by Habsburg’s dynasty, the district holds an array of exciting sights around every twist and turn. See the Royal Palace of Madrid (Palacio Real), walk through Plaza Mayor, visit Mercado de San Miguel and more on this must-do private tour!
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourStart your tour with a pickup from your centrally located Madrid hotel and start your walking tours of Los Austrias. Meet your private guide and learn about the area, hearing how it’s referred to as Habsburg’s Madrid in reference to its majestic monuments, built at the time of the Habsburg’s dynasty. Pass the Royal Palace of Madrid and hear tales of the Bourbon kings who once lived in this extravagant abode.
Continue along Calle Mayor, admiring elegant 17th-century palaces like Palacio de Abrantes and Palacio de Uceda, and then stop for photos in front of Madrid’s oldest church – Iglesia de San Nicolás de los Servitas – that was built on the site of a mosque in the 12th century. See its striking bell tower (the only Moorish feature that remains) and then stroll back toward Calle Mayor.
Head to Mercado de San Miguel, Madrid’s trendy covered market that sprawls across Plaza de San Miguel, and browse its gourmet food stores and bustling little bars. Hear tips from your guide for the best stalls to visit, and then continue walking to Plaza Mayor – the centerpiece of the city. Stroll around, soaking up the street theater ambiance that abounds, and pose for pictures in front of the equestrian statue of Felipe III – one of Madrid’s high-profile Bourbon kings.
Pick up the pace on your walk down Calle de Toledo, one of the city’s busiest streets, and pass Iglesia de San Isidro, a beautifully elegant, yet understated, church that was once a cathedral. Amble past Colegio Imperial de Madrid, where many of Madrid’s noblemen and dignitaries have studied, and hear about the Jesuits who once ran this prestigious establishment.
Return toward Plaza Mayor, seeing a series of famous mesones (typical Castilian restaurants) called Cueva de Luis Candelas – and enjoy two final stops before your tour ends. Stop on Calle Bordadores, a street where Madrid’s lace has been made since the 17th century, and then visit Iglesia de San Gines -- a charming 14th-century church that was fully reconstructed after a fire in the late 1800s.
Your tour then finishes on Calle del Arenal, in the center of town, leaving you ideally placed to continue sightseeing independently if you wish. Alternatively, you can finish with a hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Madrid Walking Tour Of Los Austrias
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (does not involve a vehicle transportation; guide will process pickup and drop-off by foot, so the walking tour starts from the hotels)
Exclusions for Private Tour: Madrid Walking Tour Of Los Austrias
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 4-Day Spanish Mediterranean Cities Tour: Valencia and Barcelona from Madrid
- 8-Day Spain Tour from Madrid: Cordoba, Seville, Ronda, Costa del Sol, Granada and Toledo
- Madrid Gourmet Experience: Guided Walking Tapas Tour
- Madrid Authentic Tapas and History Lunch or Dinner Walking Tour
- Tour Spain's Biggest Fresh Market and Eat Tapas
- Toledo Day Trip from Madrid Including Tourist Lunch and Walking Tour
- Toledo Day Trip from Madrid Including Traditional Lunch and Guided Walking Tour
- Toledo Bus Trip from Madrid