OverviewExplore the surreal rocky landscape and gravity-defying cliff monasteries of Meteora on this 4-hour private tour from Kalambaka. Choose between a morning or an afternoon experience and explore the UNESCO-list region with a private guide. Trace the footsteps of the monks and hermits who first settled in the area centuries ago as you stroll between the extraordinary sandstone pillars, before visiting two of the remaining monasteries. This is a private tour, so make the most of having a flexible itinerary with personalized commentary throughout the day.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourMeet your guide and air-conditioned minibus outside your Kalambaka hotel to begin your private 4-hour tour of the UNESCO-listed Meteora. Known for its surreal rocky landscape and gravity-defying cliff monasteries, Meteora translates as ‘in the heavens above’ and has been home to hermits and monks since the 11th century.
Board your comfortable minibus and sit back and relax on the scenic journey from central Kalambaka to Meteora. As you travel, chat about the region with your guide and take the opportunity to ask any questions you may have. The beauty of having a private guide is that any commentary is tailored to your interests.
On arrival, marvel at the natural beauty and cultural heritage of the awe-inspiring sandstone pillars and spend a few minutes snapping photos. With your private guide at your side, follow in the footsteps of the first hermits and monks who lived in Meteora centuries ago, and listen as your guide shares fascinating stories about the area’s history, geology and sights.
Then, head to the first of the two monasteries that you will visit during your trip — entrance fees to both are at your own expense. Today, only six of the 24 monasteries that were crafted atop the sandstone pillars still house religious communities. Your guide will help you choose between the monasteries that you would like to visit based on your interests. Perhaps visit the Grand Meteora, which is perched on top of the highest pinnacle, or Roussanou, which occupies the lowest rock of all the monasteries.
After exploring the monastery with your guide, perhaps head to one of the area’s viewpoints for sweeping panoramas, before heading on to the second.
Following roughly 4-hours at Meteora, board your private minibus and relax on the journey back to your hotel where your tour concludes.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Meteora Tour With Transport From Kalambaka
- Hotel pickup and drop-off to/from Kalambaka or Kastraki
- Transport by private vehicle
- Local guide
- Bottled water
Exclusions for Private Tour: Meteora Tour With Transport From Kalambaka
- Entrance fees (approx. 5 euros each)
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
Please bring comfortable shoes
No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed in religious premises. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.