Private Tour Of Korea's Modern History - Seoul
OverviewOn this 8-hour tour,learn about South Korea's rich history and how Seoul has changed over hundreds of years. You will be amazed as you walk around one of the grand palaces, Deoksugung Palace, which is located inside a complex that features both western and traditional buildings, creating its unique atmosphere. Walk down Jeongdong-gil, a calm and picturesque tree-lined alley and one of the most historic streets. You will also visit Baejae Hakdang, the first mission school established in South Korea, where manyimportant figures went for schooling, and Seodaemun History Prison, one of the most tragic symbols of Japanese cruelty and oppression.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Lunch included
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Comprehensive tour of the city
Know More about this tour
After a morning hotel pickup in Seoul, your first destination for this your tour is Deoksugung Palace.Deoksugung Palace is one of Seoul's five grand palaces built during the Joseon dynasty, Deoksugungfirst served as a palace in 1593 and is a fascinating mix of traditional Korean and Western-style neoclassical structures. The palace used to be three times as big as it is now, but it still contains small gardens and ponds amid an extraordinary potpourri of contrasting architectural styles.King Gojong who had intention to modernize Joseon dynasty against the control of Japan, passed away in Hamryeongjeon Hall.
After looking around Deoksugung Palace, enjoy the path of Jeongdong-gil.Itis full of cultural heritage and bears vestiges of Koreas long and storied history. The area is most popular for its narrow picturesque street called Jeongdong-gil that runs along the stone wall of Deoksugung Palace. The beautiful tree-lined cobblestone streets flanked by the stately palace walls and historical buildings are among Seouls most beautiful. Being designated by the Seoul Metropolitan Government as the first Beautiful Street for Walking in 1999 only made it official. But it is the cultural and historical heritage along the street that makes Jeongdong-gil so special.
The following steps of tour is to Baejae Hakdang. It is the first mission schools established in Korea by the Methodists. In the early days, education at all the mission schools was at the elementary level and consisted of an unstructured curriculum of English language education, mainly teaching English, Korean and the Bible. King Gojong was aware of the schools focus on English language instruction and granted the name ``Baejae Hakdang,in 1886. With the kings special interest in the school, within a short period of time, the Baejae became a recognized institution through which many ambitious Korean men passed through.
Following lunch at a local restaurant, you will visit Jeoldusan Martyrs' Shrine is the site of the Byeonin Persecution of 1866, where many Roman Catholics were brutally murdered.This site was built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Byeonin Persecution and to remember the spirit of martyrdom at Jeoldusan.The Martyrs Museum and Martyrs Memorial were built in 1967, and in 1972 Martyrs Park was opened to the public. Pope John Paul visited in the site in 1984 and Mother Teresa visited in 1985.
The last place you will go to is Seodaemun Prison History Hall was once used to incarcerate Korean independence activists during the time of Japanese colonial rule. Built in 1908, it is a symbol of Japanese cruelty and oppression during their colonial rule of Korea from 1910 until 1945. Today, the prison serves as a history museum reminding people of the tragedies in the past via exhibitions including lifelike re-creations of torture scenes in the nightmarish interrogation cells in the basement.
Inclusions for Private Tour Of Korea's Modern History
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Entrance fees
- Bottled water
- Private transport
Exclusions for Private Tour Of Korea's Modern History
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
A maximum of 9 people per booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Korean Demilitarized Zone and Traditional Performance Tour
- Korean Traditional Herbal Medicine Tour Including Gyeongdong Market
- Shared Arrival Transfer: Incheon Airport to Seoul Hotel
- Shared Departure Transfer: Seoul Hotel to Incheon Airport
- 'Jump' Acrobatic Show and Dinner in Seoul
- Hwaseong Fortress and Korean Folk Village Tour from Seoul
- Full Day K-Seoul Culinary Tour Including Noryangjin Fish Market and Korean BBQ Dinner
- Small-Group Morning Calm Palace Tour