Private Tour Of Ostia Antica, The Ancient City Harbor - Rome
OverviewDuration: 4h Meeting point: at your hotel as long as it is placed in the city center (within the aurelian walls) Meeting time: every day from october till march at 9:00, from april till september at 9:00 and at 13:00 Dress Code: comfortable shoes, hat on summer Included: radios and earpieces for 6 pax or more Tips: bring bottles of water on summer Sites Visited: Necropolis, Decumanus Maximus, Porta Romana, Bath of the carters, Cippus of Caninius, Bath of Neptune, Caupona, firemen barrack, theater, square of the guilds, forum, Capitolium, Basilica, Temple of Rome and Augustus, Bath of the Forum, Thermopolium Tours don't run on mondays and in the following days: january 1, may 1, december 25.
Know More about this tour
No other name could have been more appropriate for this city-harbor as it derives from the latin hostis (mouth). The settlement is in fact located close to the outfall of the river Tiber into the Tyrrhenian Sea and due to its strategical position, all the supplies of raw materials used to reach Ostia before being moved to Rome, let this satellite town play an essential role for the survival of Rome.
If after having watched a documentary about ancient Rome your dream is to live like an ancient roman for one day, and you yearn to wear a toga (typical roman gown), well this is your tour.
Be prepared to stroll along the Decumanus Maximus (main street) and live the daily life of an ancient roman citizen, stopping to eat or for a drink to a Caupona (tavern) or to a Thermopolium (bar), to the theater for a moment of relax and entertainment, to the Square of the Guilds, a shopping mall, to the forum financial, government, religious district and main gathering place for events, to the several public baths social occasions to relax like in a spa and discuss about politic and gossip. The tour also includes the visit to the firemen barrack to discover the efficiency of the romans in preventing and extinguishing fire, a big issue in a city where wood was the main material of construction.
This daydream, this full immersion in the past, so easy to reach, is only 30 km far from Rome; the chaotic pace and typical noise of a modern city will be easily forgotten as you approach the gate of what is called the Pompei of Rome for the state of preservation.
Inclusions for Private Tour Of Ostia Antica, The Ancient City Harbor
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly for a party of more than 6 pax
- Local guide
- Professional archaeologist guide
- Private tour
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Private Tour Of Ostia Antica, The Ancient City Harbor
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Ancient Rome Half-Day Tour: Colosseum and Roman Forum
- The Original Fettuccine Alfredo: Cooking Class and Lunch at Alfredo alla Scrofa Restaurant
- Best of Rome Walking Tour and Master of Pizza Class
- Shared Departure Transfer: Rome Hotels to Fiumicino Airport
- Holy Jubilee Walking Tour in Rome
- Private Half-Day Tour: Tivoli and Villa D'Este from Rome