Private Tour Of Underground Rome Including Crypts And CatacombsWrite a Review
OverviewYour 3.5-hour private guided tour begins at 9am when you are picked-up at your hotel. Your unusual tour explores the mysterious Appian Way, Catacombs of St. Callixtus, the Mithraeum and Ancient Basilica of San Clemente which date back to the 2nd Century A.D., and the "Bone Church," the last exit for hundreds of deceased Capuchin friars. Your tour concludes at Piazza Barberini and does not include hotel drop-off.
- Hotel pickup included
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourYour driver guide will pick you up at 9am. This 3.5-hour underground Rome experience begins with a trip outside the Aurelian Walls to the Catacombs of St. Callixtus. Here you will explore ancient burial grounds with a local guide from the religious order which oversees the catacombs and learn about early christian worship and symbology. From the catacombs you will head back towards ancient Rome and the mysterious Basilica di San Clemente. Three distinct layers divulge the fascinating story of this church which dates back to the first century, at which time the structure was a temple dedicated to the Pagan God Mithras. A Christian church was erected in the 4th century, and the Basilica you see today was finished in the year 1120.
Returning to the historic center, your driver guide will escort you to the Capuchin Crypt, also known as the Bone Church. Few attractions in Rome rival this overground crypt, created by friars who used bones of their predecessors to adorn the walls and ceilings.
Your tour concludes at Piazza Barberini and does not include hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for Private Tour Of Underground Rome Including Crypts And Catacombs
- Entrance fees
- Local driver guide
- Private driver tour
- Catacombs of St. Callixtus guided internally by religious order
- Hotel pickup
Exclusions for Private Tour Of Underground Rome Including Crypts And Catacombs
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel drop-off
- No wi-fi in limo
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved, approximately 1.25-miles (2 kilometers)
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair.
Photography permitted excluding Catacombs of St. Callixtus. Please be discreet
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
You might also like
- Skip The Line: Ancient Rome And Colosseum Half-Day Walking Tour
- Skip The Line - Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel And St Peter's Basilica Half-Day Walking Tour
- Pompeii And Amalfi Coast Semi-Private Day Trip From Rome
- Christian Rome Afternoon Tour
- Rome In One Day Segway Tour
- Exploring Rome Beyond Sights - Through Flavors, Walks, And People
- Rome Bike Tour - Rome Jubilee Bike Tour
- Rome By Train - Vatican Museum
- Self-Guided Priority Access Ticket Including Ancient Rome And Vatican Museums
- Beyond The Ordinary Tour