OverviewGet a close look at endangered orangutans in the wildlife reserve at Orangutan Island and see a variety of animals at the Taiping zoo, then stroll through the lovely Taiping Lake Gardens and the fascinating Perak Museum on this day trip from Penang. Youll travel in a comfortable air-conditioned vehicle and get an excellent overview of Malaysias animal life and natural history, past and present, with a private guide to show you the natural highlights and history of Bukit Merah and Taiping.
- All entrance fees included
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourAfter morning pickup from your Penang hotel, travel with your private guide by ferry to the mainland and drive two hours south to Bukit Merah. Once there, take a 10-minute boat ride out to Orangutan Island, a 5-acre (2-hectare) sanctuary for the magnificent red apes. Walk along paths where you can get a close look at the orangutans that roam this section of the island. Learn about the plight of these endangered apes and the efforts to save them and their habitat. Youll likely see baby orangutans in the nursery so cute!
After spending time on Orangutan Island, hop back in your vehicle for a visit to the nearby city of Taiping, one of the best-preserved colonial towns in Malaysia. After a stop for lunch (own expense), youll head to Taiping Lake Gardens, former mining grounds that have been transformed into a stunning 160-acre (64-hectare) park dotted with lakes, trees and flowers. Stroll along paths lined by tall leafy angsana trees and take in the tranquil beauty of the gardens and lakes.
After a refreshing walk in the Taiping Lake Gardens, check out the Taiping zoo to observe elephants, otters, and stump-tailed macaques (monkeys) among many other animals that can be seen. After an hour at the zoo, take off to find more Malaysian natural history at the Perak Museum. It is the oldest museum in Malaysia, located in a beautiful Art Deco building that was built in 1883. Its three galleries boast nature dioramas, animal skeletons, weavings, handicrafts, pottery work and tribal artifacts.
When you return to Penang, youll cross the 8-mile (13.5 km) Penang Bridge, one of the longest bridges in the world. Your guide will return you to your hotel to conclude your tour.
Please note: In case the Bukit Merah Laketown Orangutan Island is not open, you'll visit the Kuala Sepetang mangrove forest and see a charcoal kiln where charcoal is produced.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Orangutan Island, Taiping Zoo And Perak Museum From Penang
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- English-speaking guide
- Round-trip ferry ticket
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
Exclusions for Private Tour: Orangutan Island, Taiping Zoo And Perak Museum From Penang
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes and insect repellent are recommended
2 passenger minimum per booking required
In case the Bukit Merah Laketown Orangutan Island is not operating, we will replace with a visit to Kuala Sepetang mangrove forest and a charcoal kiln where charcoals are produced
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.