Private Tour: Pondicherry Day Trip From Chennai
OverviewEnjoy a serene escape from metropolitan Chennai on this private day trip to Pondicherry. Discover the region’s unique cultural and spiritual heritage with visits to Sri Aurobindo Ashram and the Pondicherry Museum. Your private guide will teach you all about Pondicherry’s French colonial influences, which are still apparent in the region’s people, language, government and cuisine. Then, in Auroville, a fairly new town with a progressive spiritual community, explore inside the unique domed Matrimandir temple, an important place for practitioners of Integral yoga.
- All entrance fees included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
Know More about this tourAfter pickup from your Chennai hotel in the morning, youll drive approximately 2.5 hours by private, air-conditioned vehicle to the Pondicherry region.
When you arrive, your professional guide will take on a tour of this spiritual community, home to Sri Aurobindo Ashram, a spiritual site founded by Sri Aurobindo and his collaborator, known locally as The Mother.
Walk to the nearby Pondicherry Museum, located in Bharathi Park. Along the way, your guide will point out various structures that display effects of French colonial influence. Inside, discover the museums outstanding collection of artifacts, sculptures and archaeological findings from the ancient Arikamedu settlement, a Tamil fishing village that traded with the Romans.
In between sightseeing, your guide will recommend a great restaurant in Pondicherry where can enjoy some French-Indian fusion cuisine (own expense).
Then, youll drive approximately 4 miles (6.5 km) to Auroville, a small town and spiritual community also founded by Mirra Alfassa. Here, youll visit Matrimandir, meaning Temple of the Mother in Sanskrit. Marvel at the plated gold of its 98-foot high (30-meter) dome with a lotus-shaped foundation urn. Wander inside to see the stark-white interior and large crystal in the center. Learn from your guide how this temple is an important spiritual place for practitioners of Integral yoga.
After your tour, youll be driven back to your Chennai hotel or the Chennai airport for your departure flight.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Pondicherry Day Trip From Chennai
- Private tour
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees to all site attractions
- Hotel/airport pickup and drop-off
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Carbon offset certificate
Exclusions for Private Tour: Pondicherry Day Trip From Chennai
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
No strict dress code is enforced at tour sites. However, please be advised to dress accordingly for places of worship; shorts or sleeveless tops are not recommended.
A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes, sunglasses/sunscreen, and at least 1 liter (32 fl oz) of drinking water per person are highly recommended
This tour operates with a maximum of 8 people
If requiring pickup from the Chennai International Airport, please advise flight arrival details on checkout
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.