Private Tour: Rome’s Jewish Catacombs
OverviewDelve beneath street level for a look at Rome's mysterious underground catacombs. On this 1.5-hour private tour, discover the Vigna Randanini catacombs, one of just two Jewish catacombs in Rome that are open to the public. As you explore the vaults, mortuaries and narrow walkways, listen as your guide explains Vigna Randaninis history and translates the ancient Latin and Greek inscriptions on the marble tombs, and learn the differences between the Jewish catacombs and those of the Christians and pagans.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
Know More about this tourMeet your private guide on Via Appia Pignatelli and begin your discovery of the Vigna Randanini catacombs. Located under Appian Way, one of the earliest known roads through ancient Rome, these Jewish catacombs were unearthed in the 19th century and are believed to date back to the 2nd century.
Head below ground and explore the catacombs with your guide, a knowledgeable archaeologist and historian. Creep down narrow shafts past vaults and mortuaries, noticing their remarkable state of preservation, and examine the intricate Latin and Greek epitaphs still visible on the marble tombs that line the burial chambers. You'll also learn the many differences between the Jewish catacombs and the Christian and pagan ones elsewhere in the city.
After 1.5 hours exploring the catacombs, head back up to street level to conclude your tour.
Inclusions for Private Tour: Rome’s Jewish Catacombs
- Professional guide
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Private Tour: Rome’s Jewish Catacombs
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Half-Day Tour: Tivoli and Villa D'Este from Rome
- Rome to Pompeii Shuttle Bus & Independent Day Trip
- Small-Group Tour: Venice by Train Full Day Tour from Rome
- Roman Countryside Food and Wine Tasting from Rome
- Naples and Pompeii: Full-Day Tour from Rome with Lunch
- Best of Rome in a Day Private Guided Tour including Vatican Sistine Chapel and Colosseum