Private Tour: San Gimignano Walking Tour
OverviewEnjoy a classic two hour Private tour through the medieval town of San Gimignano with an experienced local guide. Touch on all the main sites and learn about the towns rich history and famous products and visit some of the quieter corners of this historical hill town.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- Ideal choice for families
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourSan Gimignano is the exemplar Tuscan hill-town, with its 14 medieval towers still towering over the rooftops it stands as one of the most prominent Tuscan sites. Despite the many visitors that arrive in San Gimignano every day, the town remains such a delight to behold and is, and always will be, a must see in Tuscany. San Gimignano is situated about 25 miles from both Siena and Florence and is easily reached from both of these cities. Historically, as today, San Gimignano was a through fare for travelers and pilgrims traveling up or down the Italian peninsula.
The tour starts at Porta San Giovanni, the main gate at the bottom end of town, here you will meet your guide and begin your tour by walking up-hill along the medieval Francigena pilgrim road. After you pass a 12th century pilgrim shelter built by the knights of Malta, learn off your guide about the way in which the wealthy merchants of town fortified their homes with towers, that later became the standard for most medieval centres. Continue down a side street that opens up onto a picture perfect panorama of the Tuscan countryside, with its neat rows of vines, olive groves and dense little forests and lines of cypress trees. Arrive to the central Piazza della Cisterna which is named after the large cistern at its centre.
Adjacent to the piazza della Cisterna is the square with the Romanesque Cathedral, the Collegiata di San Gimignano, inside are held marvelous gothic frescos of Sienese art. Beside the church stands the Civic palace with the civic museum and the Torre Grossa, the citys tallest tower. On request and not included in the price you can decide to enter either or both of these monuments with your guide on tour (not included).
After having visited the towns two main squares, head uphill to the Rocca di Montestaffoli, a hilltop park and olive grove within a 14th century fortress. Here you can enjoy the best views of the town and its picturesque countryside. Continue to the SantAgostino church for a visit. This monument has fewer crowds than the others and is also rich with beautiful masterpieces of renaissance art.
For those who are happy to walk a little further and choose to discover some of the towns more hidden treasures, for example the medieval fountains located at the very bottom of the town. These public fountain is where people used to draw water and wash their clothes; it was also used by the wool and leather guilds for the production of their goods. This current building dates back to the fourteenth century with gothic lancet arches and is built on a pre-existing Lombard stone fountain (IX century).
On tour you will also learn about the products and trades of the area.
The tour is ideal for all those interested in learning about the history of town and visiting all the main sites with a local guide. Good for large and small groups alike.
Inclusions for Private Tour: San Gimignano Walking Tour
- Local guide
- Private tour
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Private Tour: San Gimignano Walking Tour
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Guided Tour of Cathedral of Holy Trinity
- Red Dot Design Museum Admission Ticket
- Privat Airport Transfer Sri lanka From Bandaranayake International Airport
- Sombai Infused Cambodian Liqueur: Workshop Visit and Liqueur Tasting
- Selvatura Park: Hummingbird Garden and Insect Museum Tour
- Private One-Way Transfer: Hurghada Airport to Hurghada Hotels