Provence Day Trip From Aix-en-Provence: On The Trail Of Van Gogh - Aix-en-provence
OverviewFollow the footsteps of Vincent van Gogh, see Roman monuments and visit one of Provence’s best open-air markets on this action-packed day trip from Aix-en-Provence! First stop is St Rémy de Provence, for a market visit and a look at St Paul de Mausole (where Van Gogh stayed after cutting off his ear). Relax in the cliff-top village of Les Baux de Provence, and then enjoy a walking tour in the UNESCO-listed town of Arles. Learn about Van Gogh’s life in town, while seeing Roman ruins like Arles Amphitheatre!
- Comprehensive tour by bus/coach
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
Know More about this tourLeave central Aix-en-Provence and travel northwest by air-conditioned minibus through the scenic Provencal countryside to the northern slopes of the Alpilles mountain range. Your destination is the pretty village of St Rmy de Provence; once a walled Roman town, it is now a thriving market village popular with locals and visitors alike.
Spend time here at leisure, doing whatever you please. Perhaps visit its picturesque open-air market (one of the regions fines), or stroll to finding St Rmys best monuments, such as St Paul de Mausole. This gorgeous Romanesque monastery was formerly a psychiatric hospital that treated St Rmys most famous ex-resident -- Vincent van Gogh -- when he cut off his ear. Entrance fees to any monuments are at your own expense.
Continue your tour by minibus to the medieval cliff-top village of Les Baux de Provence to admire its postcard-perfect views and enjoy lunch at leisure (own expense). If time permits, take a wander around the villages lovely cobblestone streets to soak up its historic charm. Possibility to attend the light and sound show in Les Carrires de Lumires (entrance fee not included, closed in February).
Meet your guide at the pre-arranged time, and travel to Arles -- an ancient city thats made its way onto the UNESCO World Heritage list in recognition of its beautifully preserved Roman monuments. Like St Rmy, Arles was once home to Vincent van Gogh. As you will learn about Van Goghs life in the city, watch out for the places that inspired the artists works, like Caf Van Gogh in Forum Square. The distinctive yellow-fronted caf is said to be the building in Van Goghs acclaimed The Caf Terrace painting. If you travel on a Saturday, you will also be able to enjoy the open-air market in Arles.
Marvel at Arles Roman monuments, too, including the ruins of Arles Amphitheater and the citys Roman Theater. Pass St-Trophime church, admiring its carved 12th-century doorway, and then return to your minibus for the journey back to Aix-en-Provence. Your tour finishes at the start point in the later afternoon.
The order of the visit might change depending on market day.
Inclusions for Provence Day Trip From Aix-en-Provence: On The Trail Of Van Gogh
- Professional guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus
Exclusions for Provence Day Trip From Aix-en-Provence: On The Trail Of Van Gogh
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Half-Day Luberon Hilltop Village Tour from Aix-en-Provence
- Avignon and Chateauneuf du Pape Wineries Small Group Tour from Aix en Provence
- Small-Group Avignon and Pont-du-Gard Day Trip with Wine Tasting
- Private Tour: Provence Day Trip in the Footsteps of Peter Mayle from Aix-en-Provence
- Cassis Half-Day Trip from Aix-en-Provence
- Luberon Villages Day Trip from Aix-en-Provence