Punta Arenas Shore Excursion: Otway Sound Penguin Colony TourWrite a Review
From USD 78
OverviewFrom the Punta Arenas cruise port, visit Otway Sound Penguin Colony (Pinginera de Seno Otway) on this 3.5-hour shore excursion. Walk around the penguin preserve and watch Magellan penguins return to shore from the sea. Youll enjoy observing the behavior of these unique birds at their nesting sites, where both males and females return each year to raise their young!
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Led by a local guide
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
Know More about this tourAfter your cruise ship docks in Punta Arenas (Sandy Point), head to the Penguin Sanctuary of Otway Sound (Pingüinera de Seno Otway) on a shore excursion with a knowledgeable guide.
Located just 40 miles (65 km) from the city, northeast of the Brunswick Peninsula, the sanctuary on Otway Sound is a great place to view the Magellan penguins that return each year to their birthplace to mate, nest and raise their young.
In September, the penguins arrive from the southern coast of Brazil and the Falkland Islands to court a mate and prepare their nests. If you choose to come In October, you’ll see the penguins enter their burrows to lay their eggs; by late November, the adorable fuzzy gray chicks hatch! From January to February, the young penguins grow juvenile feathers and they start to swim, and in March you’ll see the offspring leaving for distant shores.
From the access point, take the wooden walkway just over one mile (2 km) around the preserve and learn about the penguin colony from your guide. From a viewing point at the beach, see the penguins waddle along the shore as they return from the sea, where they can fish for up to 15 hours at a time.
From one of the lookout towers, observe the Magellan penguins and study their interesting behavior. You’ll delight in the antics of both males and females as they preen, greet one another and take turns feeding their young.
Your tour ends with transport back to the Punta Arenas cruise port.
Worry-free Shore Excursion: We will ensure your timely return to the Punta Arenas port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Inclusions for Punta Arenas Shore Excursion: Otway Sound Penguin Colony Tour
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fee
- Worry-free Shore Excursion guarantee
Exclusions for Punta Arenas Shore Excursion: Otway Sound Penguin Colony Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.