OverviewDiscover the splendor of Ro Secreto Nature Reserve: Journey to the heart of a cenote, and in the silence of the underground cave, marvel at the cathedrals of stalactites and stalagmites formed over millions of years. As you wade your way through clear turquoise water, an expert guide explains the geological secrets behind these limestone formations and points out local flora and fauna. Out of the caves and back in the jungle, enjoy a tasty buffet lunch featuring Mayan cuisine. Round-trip transport from Playa del Carmen hotels is available.
- All entrance fees included
- Family friendly
- Led by a local guide
- Lunch included
Know More about this tourEnjoy hotel pickup from Playa del Carmen (if option selected) and the short ride to Río Secreto Nature Reserve, an ecotourism site open to a limited number of visitors and dedicated to preserving the natural state of the underground cave system found here.
Upon arrival, receive from your expert guide a safety briefing, and put on a wetsuit, life vest, water shoes and helmet with a headlight (provided).
Follow your guide through the jungle and down a winding staircase into the reserve’s underground caves. As you walk deeper into what feels like the center of the earth, note the growing silence, and hear only the plod of your feet on the limestone paths and the splash from your arms wading through the waters of the cenote. Watch your step as your guide leads you for more than a third of a mile (600 meters) through the labyrinth of cavernous chambers, noting the vegetation and small creatures you see along the way.
Stand amazed before the cave ceilings covered with icicle-shaped stalactites and the gravity-defying stalagmites growing upward from the cavern floor. Listen to your guide explain how water travels to these caves, triggering and developing these dramatic limestone formations. Now that you’ve witnessed this beautiful and mystical underworld, you can easily imagine how the ancient Mayans treated these caves as sacred, spiritual sites.
Enjoy your own quiet moment of meditation here when your guide asks your group to turn off all headlights. Focus on your heartbeat and the sound of water trickling down the stalactites into the pool of water in which you’re standing.
With a renewed sense of calm, hike upward out of the caves and back into the jungle. Return your safety gear at the reserve’s center and enjoy a buffet lunch featuring Mayan cuisine (provided). After lunch, relax on a hammock in the jungle before being transported back to your hotel.
Inclusions for Río Secreto Nature Reserve From Playa Del Carmen
- Professional guide
- Use of all necessary equipment (wetsuit, helmet, water shoes, life vest)
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
Exclusions for Río Secreto Nature Reserve From Playa Del Carmen
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option not selected)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
Not recommended for pregnant women
Passengers must weigh less than 250 pounds (113 kg)
Minimum age is 4 years
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Chichen Itza And Valladolid
- Contoy And Isla Mujeres
- Coba And Mayan Encounter
- Tulum - Coba - Playa Paraiso
- TEMAZCAL - UNIQUE MAYAN RITAUL
- Swimming With Turtles And Cenotes Tour
- Sian Ka'an And Muyil Ruins Tour From Tulum And Playa Del Carmen
- Private Crocodile Tour From The Riviera Maya
- Private Luxury Boat Tour
- PADI Open Water Diver Course In The Riviera Maya