You may not be able to learn the complete art of map reading in one day but you can give it a fair shot with our popular Right Way in a Day navigation course . Those of you looking at a day out with a difference, a chance to learn some new skills or just to get some fresh air. You will look into all of the basics of map reading including some basic uses of the compass. A great introduction to the navigation skills you need to get out and about.
This course is suitable for those of you who are seasoned walkers looking for some formal tuition or if you are looking at getting out walking and don't know where to start. This course can be upgraded to the Beginner Navigation 2 day course. The first day is the same.
During the course you will look at:
- Maps, scales, grid system, grid references
- The Strategy Distance, Direction, Check Off and Overshoot
- The compass, different types, advantages and disadvantages, measuring and taking bearings, allowing for magnetic variation
- Pacing distances and timing distances, all measuring and calculations
- Understanding contours
- Route finding skills, using the natural land flow and hazard awareness