OverviewGet a glimpse of local life on this 2-hour walking tour of Trastevere, one of Romes oldest and most characteristic neighborhoods. With a local guide leading the way, wander through the jumble of narrow streets and cobblestone alleys, and discover the medieval suburbs heady mix of trendy nightlife venues, traditional restaurants, art galleries and quintessential bakeries. Numbers limited to 12 people, ensuring a small-group experience with personalized attention from the guide.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourMake your own way to Isola Tiberina (Tiber Island), a picturesque Rome island linked by Ponte Fabricio, the oldest bridge in the city. Here, meet your local guide and small group outside San Bartolomeo all'Isola (The Church of St Bartholomew) to begin your 2-hour walking tour of Rome’s Trastevere neighborhood. A medieval suburb made up of a labyrinthine web of alleys that are lined with aromatic bakeries and legendary gelaterie (gelato shops), Trastevere offers a charming mix of old and new Rome.
Stroll over Pons Cestius (Cestius Bridge) to the Tiber River’s right bank, perhaps picking up a refreshing grattachecca (traditional hand-shaved flavored ice) from one of the little kiosks (own expense). Then, follow your guide through the maze-like pathways of Trastevere. Gaze up at the washing lines that are strung out from the apartments above your head and see the area’s traditional family-owned osterie (small eateries) and art galleries.
As you walk, listen to your guide tell you about the area’s transition from a working-class neighborhood into one of the locals' favorite nighttime hotspots. Arrive at Basilica of Santa Cecilia and hear the fascinating local legend of St Cecilia, a Roman martyr who died on the site where the church now stands.
Continue on to Piazza Santa Maria, the beating heart of the neighborhood and a fantastic spot to mingle with the locals and observe daily life in the district. Take a seat on a bench and admire the square’s 12th-century mosaics before recharging with mouthwatering Italian specialities from a popular nearby bakery (own expense).
Next, walk together with your guide to Piazza Trilussa, a popular meeting point for the young locals, and see the Fontana dell'Acqua Paola, which was once fed by Aqua Traiana (Trajan Aqueduct). Your tour then concludes at Ponte Sisto (Sixtus Bridge) in the early evening, leaving you perfectly placed to head into central Rome or return to one of Trastevere’s osterie for dinner.
Inclusions for Rome Trastevere Walking Tour
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Rome Trastevere Walking Tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.