Begin your tour on Piazza di Spagna, on the bottom of the eponymous Spanish Steps. On entering the piazza, one is immediately taken aback by such elegance: the yellow, brownish ochre-colored buildings, Bernini’s fountain and the celebrated Spanish Steps rising up towards the Church of Trinità dei Monti, all helping to create a refined, eighteenth-century atmosphere. On Piazza di Spagna at its base admire the early-Baroque fountain called Fontana della Barcaccia ("Fountain of the ugly Boat"), constructed in 1627-29 and often attributed to Pietro Bernini, father of a more famous son, Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who, according to recent research, is said to have collaborated on the decoration. After a short walk, arrive at the entrance of the Underground portion of your tour. During the restoration of the former Cinema Trevi, workers found the remains of a Roman mansion built on the site of two communal dwellings, adjacent to each other and constructed around the same time, on the west side along the Vicus Caprarius (“Goat Alley” in Latin). Subsequent excavations conducted between 1999 and 2001 revealed the full archeological value of the site extending to about 4,000sq-ft and to a maximum depth of 30ft, including a vast building complex of the Imperial Age (4th century) that represents a note worthy testimonial of antique urban planning. “Città dell’Acqua” (City of Water) is currently used to describe the archaeological complex of the Vicus Caprarius, without any doubt a term that characterizes best the nature of the site: first and foremost, it contains the watersource that feeds the monumental baroque Trevi Fountain, an ancient aqueduct called Acquedotto Vergine, at the flanks of the archeological area. Furthermore, the excavations brought to light the remains of an immense cistern, part of an ancient water distribution system that, by way of lead plumbing still in place, fed the tubs of a luxurious noble residence in the immediate vicinity. The tank in Vicus Caprarius is the only one of 18thought to have survived!
- Free Cancellation
- Duration: 2 Hrs
English, German, Spanish
Departure Details :
Please reach our (meeting point) at least 15 minutes earlier. The meeting point is under the column with the VIrgin statue on top, next to piazza di Spagna (the Spanish steps)
OverviewDiscover the secret underground places of Rome, that usually escape the notice of the general public. Begin your trip with the magnificent Spanish Steps and get a feel of the old world charm of Rome. Visit the beautiful fountain by Bernini and kiss a coin before you flip it at the Trevi Fountain. Witness the beauty of the ruins beneath the fountains, while you are briefed in about all these places by an expert english speaking guide.
- Discover Rome's hidden sites, some not usually open to the general public
- Climb the spectacular Spanish Steps
- See the famous Trevi Fountain and visit the ancient ruins found beneath it
- Learn about Rome's history from an expert, English-speaking guide
Know More about this tour
- Archaeological English speaking guide
- Access to Subterranean Vicus Caprarius
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St Peters, Sistine Chapel, Small-Group Upgrade Option
- Rome Combo: Skip-the-Line Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters Basilica and Colosseum Walking Tour
- Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and Colosseum Half-Day Walking Tour
- Skip the Line: Crypts and Roman Catacombs Small-Group Walking Tour
- Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour: Underground Chambers and Arena
- Vatican for Kids Private Tour
- Priority First Early Entrance: Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums Ticket
- Rome in a Day: Vatican and Colosseum with Skip the Line