This 2.5-hour guided walking tour around Madison Square Park seeks out what's left to be found of the Gilded Age city, reading the architecture and decoding the street walls in a neighborhood that was once the city center. Where the city came from (Soho), and where it moved to (Times Square, Museum Mile, and the shops of Fifth Avenue), is explained in short order. Youll learn answers to questions you didnt know you had about New York City, and leave with the deeply satisfying sense of understanding a city that author James Baldwin called 'spitefully incoherent'.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Comprehensive tour of the city
Know More about this tour
Meet your guide in late morning at the the Flatiron Building on23rd Street then head up Fifth Avenue to the Empire State Building at 34th Street. Along the way you will learn the history as it is revealed by the street walls; building heights, widths, faade styles, how they were adapted for re-use over time, over, and over (and over) again.
Then, head south, crossing back and forth along Broadway on our way to 23rd Street. Now youll be going from the old seedy red light district of the Tenderloin to the upper class residential precincts. Broadway here was once a cultural, 'other-side-of-the-tracks' kind of divide, and the stark difference between the low brow district of saloons and brothels, and the fine hotels and homes on the other side of Broadway, is very much evident in those Broadway blocks today. Pass through Tin Pan Alley, the sheet music grind house of the time.
Then, cross into an entirely different history on the other of 23rd Street at Sixth Avenue, the Ladies Mile Historic Shopping District. This preserved-in-amber row of the middle class shopping emporia of the Gilded Age is the heart of Chelsea today. The hard divide between the red light district of the Tenderloin, and the respectable shopping district is still very much evident if you know what to look for. A real time capsule block, a middle class church (the old Limelight night club) and three middle class homes of the 1850s, still stand from before the Gilded Age moved in. A preserved historic district with an earlier residential history accidentally preserved within!
Continue south to 19th Street and then turn east, back to Fifth Avenue. Here, again, the more complicated history of the transitions that passed through this stretch of Fifth Avenue are explained by the buildings themselves. From residential, to retail, to industrial, and back again.
On Broadway, between Union Square and Madison Square, the tour will end on a stretch of blocks that have about the most wonky history of any section of street in the city. A wonderful Broadway enclave that holds perhaps one of the greatest secrets in New York City.
Inclusions for Ruins Of A Forgotten City: Historical Manhattan Walking Tour
- Professional guide
- Small-group tour
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Ruins Of A Forgotten City: Historical Manhattan Walking Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- 9/11 Memorial And Ground Zero Walking Tour With Optional 9/11 Museum Upgrade
- World Trade Center Tour With Optional 9/11 Museum Ticket
- 2-Day Niagara Falls Tour From New York By Bus
- Big Apple Helicopter Tour Of New York
- Chinatown Walking And Food Tour
- Hell's Kitchen Walking And Food Tour
- WindowsWear Fashion Window Walking Tour
- Greenwich Village Walking And Food Tour
- Shop And Shuttle Woodbury Commons New York
- New York Craft Cocktail Tour Best.Day.Ever.