Samaria Gorge Small-Group Hiking Day Trip From Chania
OverviewThere are plenty of things to see and do on Crete. Between the jaw-droppingly beautiful, sun-splashed villages and the healthy Mediterranean cuisine, Crete is a feast for the senses. But make sure to take the time for a hike in the Samaria Gorge. This guided 10-mile (16-km) walk takes you to a place of stunning natural beauty. Get picked up in Chania by a comfortable bus and then prepare to be wowed by the gorge, as high limestone cliffs and quaint villages create the background for a great hike.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourThe Samaria Gorge, a national park and UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in southwest Crete, is one of the largest limestone gorges in Europe and one of the most eye-pleasing spots on the island. See the best of the gorge on this 6-hour guided hike through the ravine. A guide leads you through the mountainous rocky landscape, traversing 10 miles (16 kilometers).
Upon pickup at your Chania hotel in the morning, let the comfortable, deluxe van shuttle you to the gorge. Start hiking as the guide regales you with historical tales about the area, one of the oldest inhabited spots in Europe. Pass through tiny villages including the eponymous Samaria, which was abandoned in the 1960s to make way for the park.
One of the most spectacular sections of the somewhat strenuous hike is the passage through the Gates, where the ravine is only 13 feet (4 meters) across and the cliffs on either side climb to roughly 300 feet (90 meters) high.
At the base of the gorge, enjoy a refreshing swim in the sea or explore a village that is only accessible by boat or by hiking through the gorge. Sit down at a village tavern for a hearty seafood lunch (not included). Once your time in the village is done, enjoy an hours sail to a nearby port, and end the trip with hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for Samaria Gorge Small-Group Hiking Day Trip From Chania
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
Exclusions for Samaria Gorge Small-Group Hiking Day Trip From Chania
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fee to the Gorge and one-way ferry ticket to Agia Roumeli (17 euros per person)payable directly to the guide in cash on the day of the tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
Not wheelchair accessible
Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions; hike suitable for travelers in good physical conditions as it involves strenuous activities.
Please bring your own snacks and water with you to keep up with the hike until the lunch stop
Minimum age is 10 years
The entrance fee to the Gorge and one-way ferry ticket to Agia Roumeli (17 euros per person) payable directly to the guide in cash on the day of the tour
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.