San Antonio De Los Cobres Day Trip From SaltaWrite a Review
OverviewFollow part of the route of Argentinas famous Train to the Clouds on a scenic round-trip drive from Salta to the mountain town of San Antonio de los Cobres. As you climb in elevation during the drive, travel through Quebrada del Toros dense greenery and breathtaking gorge dotted with cacti. Cross viaducts and bridges, including Alisal and Chorrillo, and visit the pre-Incan archaeological gem of Santa Rosa de Tastil. Explore the quiet mining town of San Antonio de los Cobres, from where youll capture views of Polvorilla Viaduct.
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourYour day trip from Salta starts with hotel pickup for the 100-mile (160-km) drive northwest of town to San Antonio de los Cobres. Your route parallels Argentinas famous railway, Train to the Clouds (Tren a las Nubes), but on this tour, enjoy the comfort of disembarking as your group pleases for photo ops of the incredible Andean scenery.
Reach your first sightseeing marvel after about two hours, Quebrada del Toro (Gorge of the Bull). Admire views of El Toro viaduct, a 79-foot (24-meter) bridge built between the 1920s and 40s, that crosses the gorge, and pass by the bridges of Alisal and Chorrillo. Your guide provides engaging commentary on history and local geology, which spans the spectrum from dense vegetation to rocky landscapes strewn with cacti. See if you can spot cardones, a native plant resembling celery.
Travel through the charming villages of El Candado, El Glgota and Alfarcito. Depending on your group, make stops in the towns to stretch your legs and snap pictures.
Continue and disembark at the tiny rural village of Santa Rosa de Tastil, where youll visit the ruins of a mysterious pre-Incan city. As you walk through the arid and rocky terrain, your guide points out remnants that used to be housing and streets of this former civilization. Find out more inside the archaeological museum (entrance fee is an additional expense), and if youre hungry, purchase a light snack in the village.
Back in your air-conditioned vehicle, pass through Finca La Encrucijada, ascend Muano Cliff and reach Abra Blanca, the highest point on the road between Salta and San Antonio de los Cobres, at a height of 13,386 feet (4,080 meters). Take in sweeping views of the gorge and perhaps catch sight of condors swooping over the valley or llamas clopping up a mountainside.
Then make the final stretch to San Antonio de los Cobres, one of Argentinas highest-elevation towns at 12,300 feet (3,750 meters), and enjoy views of the often-photographed Polvorilla Viaduct. During your two hours here, learn about the town whose name is taken from nearby Sierra de Cobre (Copper Mountain). Explore at your leisure and buy lunch at one of the local restaurants serving regional dishes. Wander the streets lined with traditional adobe houses, browse the handicraft stalls and admire the views of the surrounding Andes.
When its time to go, return to Salta the way you came, but with no stops. Your day trip ends with hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for San Antonio De Los Cobres Day Trip From Salta
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional guide
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
Exclusions for San Antonio De Los Cobres Day Trip From Salta
- Gratuities (optional)
- Lunch (you may buy lunch in San Antonio de los Cobres or bring a packed lunch)
- Entrance fee to Archaeological museum in Santa Rosa de Tastil (25 Argentinian pesos)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes and bring a jacket/sweater and sunscreen
You may bring your own food and drinks
Note: San Antonio de los Cobres sits at an elevation of more than 12,000 feet, which may cause altitude sickness for some; it is recommended that you drink plenty of hot tea or water prior to the tour and carry any necessary medication
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.