San Clemente The Historical Triple-deck And His Underground Small-Group Tour - Rome
OverviewA 2.5-hour tour for those who want to experience the treasures of Rome off the beaten path. You will be introduced to art and architecture from antiquity through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. With your professional art historian guide, visit San Clemente underground, San Pietro in Vincoli church, and Ludus Magnus. Shared tour includes all entrance fees and is limited to a maximum of 15 - 20 people.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
Know More about this tour
Begin your journey near the Colosseum and take a pleasant walk through the surrounding neighborhood. In a delightful little piazza off Via Cavour,you will find the church of San Pietro in Vincoli (St. Peter in Chains). The church houses an important relic, the two sets of chains that bound St. Peter when he was imprisoned in Jerusalem and Rome. The highlight of this church is undoubtedly Michelangelos statue of Moses,an unfinished masterpiece by the Renaissance genius that was originally intended to be part of the tomb of Pope Julius II. The original plans included anenormous funeral monument with47 statues, but it was never completed due to Michelangelo's other commissions.
Leaving San Pietro in Vincoli, continue to see the ruins of the Ludus Magnus, an ancient gladiator training school located on the northeast side of the Colosseum. The arena was connected with the school by underground tunnels.
Your last stop isthe Basilica of San Clemente alLaterano along Via San Giovanni. This 12th-century basilica is a great example of architectural chronology: the structure is a three-level building complex, with each level corresponding to a major era of Roman history. Remains under the present basilica suggest that the foundation was part of a republican-era villa. In the 4th century, this was converted into a Christian church dedicated to Pope St. Clemet, the third Pope after St. Peter. The present Medieval basilica was built in 1100.
Group size is limited to 20 people for a more personalized experience.
Inclusions for San Clemente The Historical Triple-deck And His Underground Small-Group Tour
- Entrance fees
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly(over the8 people)
- Professional art historian guide
Exclusions for San Clemente The Historical Triple-deck And His Underground Small-Group Tour
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Dress code is smart casual
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Gladiator of Ancient Rome - semi private tour
- Small Group Tour of Colosseum With Dungeons
- Colosseum restricted areas and Dungeons Small Group Tour
- Ancient Rome Semi Private Tour with Access from the Gladiator entrance
- Segway Tour Villa Borghese
- James Bond Spectre Tour through Rome
- Wifi everywhere in Rome
- Va, pensiero: the best of Verdi in a virtual tour experience