OverviewWalk in the shoes of a typical tico, or native Costa Rican, on this 4-hour evening tour of San Jose and dinner in Guachipelin. Meander through San Joses Central Market with an expert guide, and learn about the ingredients used to prepare local cuisine. Then stroll through historic neighborhoods to admire beautiful architecture, including the National Theater. Listen to tales of witch lore as you travel to Guachipelin, part of the City of Witches, before tucking into a gourmet 3-course meal, paired with wine, at a local restaurant.
- Dinner included
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Fully narrated tour
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourMeet your guide at San Jose’s Central Market, a lively labyrinth of more than 200 stalls that took root in 1882. Watch as people stream in and out of the covered market to purchase groceries and meet friends at restaurants, cafes and bars.
You’ll find wares of every kind here, including produce, herbal remedies, handicrafts and more. Your guide will take you to certain stalls to point out the herbs, roots and fruit commonly used in local cuisine, some of which may even be part of your dinner later on.
After the market, amble down Central Avenue, learning about city history along the way. In Culture Plaza, gaze at the Neoclassical façade of the National Theater. Opened in 1897, this ornate playhouse is always busy hosting performances from the National Symphony Orchestra and National Theater Company, among other acts.
For more impressive Costa Rican architecture, stroll through Morazán Park — built over swampland in the 19th century — for a look at the Metallic Building that houses two prominent schools. At Spain Park, gaze at the Yellow House, home of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and hear about its connection to Andrew Carnegie.
Wander through adjacent neighborhoods to find institutions such as the National Distillery and the Supreme Court of Elections. Go through the Paseo de las Damas into the lovely National Park and arrive at an artisan market, where you’ll spend some time before hopping aboard your private transport to Paseo de la Luz.
The vibrant commercial hub is located in the city of Escazú, home to many well-heeled ticos and foreign ambassadors. During the short drive to , Paseo de la Luz hear supernatural folklore about Escazú, which is nicknamed the City of Witches.
Spend the rest of the evening in Paseo de la Luz at a popular restaurant that specializes in Costa Rican cuisine with a Mediterranean flair. Each of your three courses is carefully paired with wine. See Itinerary below for a sample menu.
Your tour concludes at the end of your sumptuous meal.
Inclusions for San Jose Evening Tour With Dinner In Escazú
- Local guide
- 3-course dinner
- 3 glasses of wine
Exclusions for San Jose Evening Tour With Dinner In Escazú
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Itinerary:Sample dinner menu (subject to change)
First course (one of the following):
- Tomato filled with sea bass ceviche and chicasquil (tree spinach)
- Palm fruit cream soup
- Tuna ceviche salad with olives, nuts and beetroot
- Sea bass filet in tamarind sauce, with sweet potato puree and hearts of palm
- Beef tenderloin with blackberries and strawberry sauce, with banana croquettes and glazed palm fruit
- Pork tenderloin encrusted with palm fruit seeds, mango and guava
- Turrialba cheese and guava jelly
- Banana ice cream with pumpkin honey
- Coconut fudge with soursop ice cream
Each course is paired with wine from Argentina or Chile.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 6 years
Minimum age to drink wine is 18 years
Small-group tour limited to 12 people
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.