Sani Pass And Lesotho Tours With Professional Guide - Durban
OverviewThe awe-inspiring Sani Pass climbs the face of the escarpment through a World Heritage Site, starting at 1544m and rising 1332 vertical meters to summit at 2876 meters (9400 feet). This altitude gain is almost 300 meters more than its nearest competitor. The scenery is breath taking and attracts visitors from all over the world.Originally developed as a bridal path in 1913, the pass served as an important link between the Underberg district and the remote settlement of Mokhotlong, in Eastern Lesotho. It is now used for the most part by 44 vehicles and has become the highlight of the Southern Drakensberg.Your guide will reveal the history of the pass, geology of the mountains and the flora & fauna. Once through the border post you visit a unique, authentic Basotho village in which cultures are explained in a lively narrative. The highest pub in Africa offers a cold beer & lunch before the descent through the switchbacks to Underberg
Know More about this tour
The tour departs between 9:00 and 9:30 from the Major Adventures offices at the Underberg Inn in the Main Road of town. Alternatively you may be collected from your accommodation free of charge within a radius of10 km from the office or if you are staying en route on the road to the pass. If not, a collection can be requested for a surcharge if there are a minimum of 2 passengers.
Passports are essential and visas are required for a few nationalities. Check https://lesotho.travisa.com for details.
Bring warm clothes as the temperature at the top can get chilly at times, a camera, binoculars and sunscreen.
Restrooms are limited on the Pass.
One of the most professional and experienced guides in the area will accompany you in a 4x4 vehicle of top safety standards. The first stop is at the South African border control after which the steep climb, of 1332 meters, almost vertically through 8 kms begins.
You will drive through a World Heritage site stopping regularly for photos opportunities and commentary relating to the area. Reaching the summit approximately 2.5 hours after leaving Underberg, the guide will usher you through the Lesotho border control, as the owner of a small local village will be waiting for you with freshly baked warm bread and traditional beer to sample. A lively narrative on Basotho history and culture follows in the owners hut. Homemade crafts are on sale should you wish to purchase a memento.
Leaving the village you will head straight towards the Highest Pub in Africa to witness the views across the roof of africa. Leisurely lunch and drinks follow before you head back through the hairpin bends and spectacular scenery. Between 16h00 and 16h30 you will back at your destination.
Cost includes cross border fees and Lesotho tourism surcharges, visit to the Basotho village, professional guide, certificate acknowledging your successful summit of the pass.
Cost excludes lunch and drinks in the pub, discretionary gratuities given to the guide, donations to the village (optional) personal purchases.
Inclusions for Sani Pass And Lesotho Tours With Professional Guide
- Hotel pick up and drop off within 10 km from our office or en route to the Pass
- Lesotho tourism surcharges
- Cross Border Fees
- Visit to the Basotho village,
- Food tasting
- Professional guide,
- Certificate acknowledging your successful summit of the pass.
- Food tasting
- Viator brokerage fee
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Sani Pass And Lesotho Tours With Professional Guide
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off if it is further than 10km from our offices or not en route to the Pass
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
You MUST confirm and obtain any visa requirements (for a few nationalities) prior to border crossing.
All visa requirements are the sole responsibility of the traveler
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Magical Gondola Night Rides in Durban
- Picnic Gondola Boat Ride at Durban Point Waterfront Canal
- Mindgame Escape - Escape Houdini's Basement
- One-Way Hop-on Hop-off Bus from Durban to Cape Town
- Private Airport Shuttle in Durban
- 7-Day Pass Hop-on Hop-off Baz Bus Travel Pass -Durban Departure
- 14-Day Pass Hop-on Hop-off Baz Bus Travel Pass -Durban Departure