Scholar-Led Architectural Walking Tour: Harajuku, Omotesando And Roppongi - Tokyo
OverviewTurn a critical lens on Japan's modernist architecture during this 3-hour walking tour of Tokyo, including Harajuku, Omotesando and Roppongi. A local scholar will introduce traditional and contemporary principles of Japanese design through architecture, fashion and art. During fascinating discussions with your expert guide, youll learn where Japanese designers draw their inspiration and appreciate how Japanese ideals of beauty inform their aesthetics. Enjoy personal attention on this small-group tour, limited to 6 people.
- Fully narrated tour
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Small group ensures personal service
Know More about this tourMeet your guidea local scholar of art history and architectureat a central Tokyo location. Your expertly trained guide uses a multidisciplinary approach to help you understand Tokyos contemporary visual culture, starting with traditional concepts of Japanese architecture at the Meiji Shrine.
Here, you can start to appreciate how the visual landscape of Tokyo has changed in the last 200 years. Dedicated to the Emperor Meiji in the 19th century, the modest aesthetics of this Shinto shrine provide a foundation for discussing the contemporary design techniques that followed.
Spot examples of these newer techniques as you venture to Harajuku and Omotesando, two closely situated areas with quite different representations of Tokyos modern design. As you walk through the district of Harajuku, delve into some of the colorful subcultures that Tokyo is known for. Your guide will point out how modern Japanese values and roles are reflected in consumerism and clothing to form social identities.
As you move through the neighborhood of Omotesando, notice how luxury brandsPrada and Dior, among othersuse architecture as an extension of their aesthetic principles. As a hub for design, fashion and architecture, the famous avenue is dotted with design studios and boutiques, each showcasing their own idea of Japanese beauty. View buildings by great modern architects, such as the Cartier building, the Nezu Museum, the TODs building, Tokyu Plaza and Gyrea mixed-use building for retail and dining.
Your discussion in the Roppongi District may include subjects such as superflat, a postmodern art movement exemplified by Takashi Murakami, and modern forms of Japonisme. You might also wend your way toward the 21_21 Design Site, Tokyos first design museum and a stunning piece of architecture by Tadao Ando.
Complete your walking tour in Roppongi Hills, an urban development that integrates commercial, cultural and residential Tokyo. Real-estate tycoon Minoru Moriwho also created Omotesando Hills and the neighboring Tokyo Midtown Centerhas made Roppongi a central hub for contemporary art in Tokyo, punctuated by the Mori Museum at the top of Mori Tower.
Inclusions for Scholar-Led Architectural Walking Tour: Harajuku, Omotesando And Roppongi
- Professionally guided tour by a field specialist
Exclusions for Scholar-Led Architectural Walking Tour: Harajuku, Omotesando And Roppongi
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 13 years
A moderate amount of walking is involved
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
A maximum of 6 people per booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.