Join a local scholar of religion on a 3-hour walking tour of Kyoto, exploring Shinto and Buddhist landmarks. Visit Yasaka Shrine, Kennin-ji Temple and Kiyomizu-dera Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.Youll learn about the synchronicity of religions and spirituality that permeate Japanese culture, historically and in present day. Explore the history, traditions and rituals of both Shintoism an indigenous spiritual belief and Buddhism, which was imported from China and Central Asia. Numbers are limited to 6 people, ensuring an intimate experience with a small group.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourMeet your guide in front of the Lawson's General Store and embark on your small-group walking tour of Kyoto. First, head to the historical Gion district and start at the Yasaka Shrine, a Shinto complex that includes numerous gates and halls. Here, witness the temizu, a ritual hand washing conducted before entering a Shinto shrine.
Your guide, a local scholar, will outline the basic principles of this indigenous spiritual belief system and introduce you to the kami, spiritual deities. Hear an interesting discussion on the role of folklore and its use in the nationalism promoted by the 19th-century Meiji regime.
Stroll through the streets of Gion and wend your way toward one of Kyotos most renowned temples, the Kiyomizu-dera. This UNESCO World Heritage-listed temple was established in 788 AD and its main hall, perched halfway up Otowa Mountain, provides spectacular views across the city. Your introduction to Buddhism begins with a small-group discussion of the the religion's origins and a basic understanding of how temple complexes are structured. Youll also learn how charms and amulets are used to help change ones fortune or provide protection.
Your final stop is the Zen Buddhist temple complex of Kennin-ji, rebuilt several times since it was established in 1202 AD. As you explore the complex with your guide, youll gain a better understand of the daily life of Buddhist monks, and discover how work and meditation are used to reach enlightenment. Structures you might visit are the Abbot's Quarters, the Dharma Hall (Hatto), a teahouse built in the 16th century and the Imperial Messenger Gate.
By the end of your small-group walking tour, youll have a better understanding of the symbols of Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples for a more fulfilling experience during your time in Japan!
Inclusions for Scholar-led Kyoto Walking Tour: Shintoism And Buddhism In Japan
- Professional English-speaking guide
Exclusions for Scholar-led Kyoto Walking Tour: Shintoism And Buddhism In Japan
- Entrance fee to sites, JPY800 (approx.)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Minimum age is 10 years
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
Please note that you may be asked to remove your footwear at some temples
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Kyoto Full-Day Sightseeing Tour Including Nijo Castle And Kiyomizu Temple
- Kyoto And Nara Day Trip From Kyoto Including Nijo Castle
- Nara Afternoon Tour Of Todaiji Temple, Deer Park And Kasuga Shrine From Kyoto
- Kyoto World Heritage Hop-On Hop-Off Loop Bus
- 60 Minutes Ebisuya Rickshaw Tour In Higashiyama, Kyoto
- 90 Minutes Ebisuya Rickshaw Tour In Higashiyama, Kyoto
- Arashiyama And Sagano Walking Food Tour
- Half Day Kyoto Stroll With A Private Photographer
- Gion Walking Tour By Night
- Hidden Kyoto Bike Tour