Scuba Dive The S.S. Yongala Wreck On The Great Barrier Reef - Townsville CityWrite a Review
OverviewGo open-water diving on the SS Yongala wreck, considered one of the best dive sites in the UNESCO-listed Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Your day trip to one of the largest and most intact historic shipwrecks includes two dives with a choice of tanks and weights or full equipment. Enjoy lunch and refreshments on board, and make the most of your dive with a certified guide (optional hire). Numbers are limited to 21 to ensure personalized attention on your small-group excursion, departing from Townsville or Magnetic Island.
Know More about this tourThis phenomenal dive is one no open-water scuba diver should miss! The SS Yongala wreck is situated in the UNESCO-listed Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Legally protected under Australias Historic Shipwrecks Act 1976, the site is designed to conserve wreck relics and artifacts.
Check in at Breakwater Marina, just off the Strand in Townsville, or board your boat at Nelly Bay Ferry Terminal on Magnetic Island for an early morning departure. Start with morning tea as you greet your small group of open-water divers, and receive tips from professional crew members about protecting the marine environment at the shipwreck site, located approximately 48 nautical miles (89 km) southeast of Townsville.
The upper sections of the 361-foot-long (110 meters) ship, which sank during a cyclone, begin 49 feet (15 meters) below the waters surface. The ship extends to the depth of the sandy sea floor, approximately 100 feet (30 meters) down.
The SS Yongala carried 49 passengers and a 73-person crew. On its way from Melbourne to Cairns, it lost all 122 people on board. The wreck was first found in 1958, and due to its remote location and protected landmark status, it has remained mostly untouched.
When you reach the established artificial reef, keep an eye out for a diverse range of marine life attracted to this complex habitat. Youre likely to spot turtles, sea snakes, giant trevally, Queensland gropers, eagle rays, manta rays, sharks, thousands of tropical fish. In the cooler months, you might get the awesome sight of humpback whales and whale sharks.
Ice water, tea, coffee and cordials are available throughout the day. Enjoy afternoon tea and a tropical smorgasbord lunch before youre returned to Townsville or Magnetic Island.
Please note: A minimum of six logged dives are required prior to diving this site. Unless you have 15 logged open-water dives, it is required that you pay the fee for a certified dive guide, but anyone can add on a guide to enhance this underwater adventure.
Inclusions for Scuba Dive The S.S. Yongala Wreck On The Great Barrier Reef
- Morning tea
- Afternoon tea
- Iced water, cordial, tea and coffee
- 2 dives on the S.S. Yongala Wreck
- Reef levy
Exclusions for Scuba Dive The S.S. Yongala Wreck On The Great Barrier Reef
- Guided dive. An additional AU$10 payable direct on the day of travel. Compulsory for divers with less than 15 logged dives
- PADI Adventure Dives. An additional AU$25 per dive, payable direct on the day of travel
- Enriched Air Nitrox AU$50 for two tanks (must be Nitrox certified)
- Camera Hire AU$65 (includes SD card, yours to keep)
Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Certified divers only. Minimum qualification: Open Water Diver. A minimum of six logged dives required prior to diving this site
Divers with less than 15 logged dives must be guided with the dive leader (An additional AU$10 is payable direct on the day of travel
Divers must present proof of certification to crew on board on the day
Please wear your swimwear and bring a towel, hat, sunscreen and camera
All passenger heights, weights, shoe size and number of logged dives MUST be advised at time of booking a
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.