Shanghai Old City Walk
OverviewLook behind the glamorous facades of modern Shanghai in this private 2h walking tour through the hidden Old town of Shanghai. Discover ancient wood carvings behind rows of hanging laundry, visit the house where Einstein dined during his stay and and explore numerous other highlights your guidebook doesn't tell you about. And with help of your guide, you can try traditional snacks at the fresh market, chat with locals about their daily lives and gain insight into the beating heart of this buzzing metropolis.
Know More about this tourShanghai is famous for its rapid development with its mesmerizing skyline and the remains of European colonial architecture, but what did they city look like originally?
Greet your guide at Xiao Nanmen metro station and walk along narrow alleys to explore the highlights of Shanghai's old town. Here you can find a century-old fire tower, with 32 m once one of the highest buildings of the city. You will discover the mansion of a 19th century Shanghai shipping magnate, visit Catalpa Gardens, where Albert Einstein was received during his stay in 1922 and stop by the former residence of one of the first Chinese catholics Paul Xu, who in the 1600s helped translate the first bible into Chinese.
Along the way, you can watch locals grocery shopping in their typical Shanghai style pajamas or immersed in a fierce match of Chinese chess. If you're lucky, you'll even meet a friendly local eager to share their stories. At the fresh market you can explore some of the culinary specialties that the city has to offer. While we provide a bottle of water per person, you can purchase snacks with help the help of your guide at your own expense. We end our tour at the Confucius Temple, the only ancient temple complex remaining in Shanghai's center and a long-standing institution of education in the city. From there your guide can help you to catch the metro or a taxi to your next destination.
Inclusions for Shanghai Old City Walk
- Entrance fees
- Bottled water
- Local guide
- Small-group tour
Exclusions for Shanghai Old City Walk
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
A maximum of 15 people per booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Hotel pick-up and drop-off can be organized on request
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Shanghai Evening Walking Tour including Street Food Tasting and Huangpu River Cruise
- Private Shanghai Day Tour including Bund Yu Garden French Concession and Jade Buddha Temple
- Private Shanghai PVG Airport Layover Tour
- Private Tour: Early Bird Morning Practise with Sightseeing Tunnel and OTV Tower
- Private Tour: Evening River Cruise with Yu Garden Bazaar Night View with Dinner
- Half-day Shanghai Highlight Tour with Pickup at Hongqiao Railway Station
- Shanghai Yacht Experience on Huangpu River with Refreshments
- Shanghai Night Tour by Bike