OverviewExperience the best of Tauranga and Mount Maunganui. From its golden sand beaches, stunning views, kiwifruit orchards, arts and crafts industry and The Elms Mission Station - sit back while a local guide shows you why he chooses to call this place home.
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tour
After meeting your guide just outside the port gate, depart along Pilot Bay where you can see the great views across Tauranga Harbor to the city and Matakana Island. Pass Mount Maunganui, the iconic landmark of this area where you can see evidence of the early Maori settlements around the base of the mountain.
Traversing the narrow strip of land between harbor and ocean, passing the new high rise hotels and apartments, you will reach the famous Mount Ocean beach, site of many major surfing competitions, a popular spot for locals and visitors to enjoy the beach front cafes and restaurants.
Continue along the very affluent "Marine Parade" where some of New Zealand's most expensive homes are located. When you see the view out across the Pacific Ocean, you will realize why this is such a popular summer holiday destination.
Leaving the Mount Maunganui suburb, head across the harbor bridge to Tauranga City, first settled by English missionaries in the 1830s. Your first stop is the historic battle site of Gate Pa, one of New Zealand's most important battles between the Maori and British forces in 1864. The events of that day are explained by your guide and the interpretative panels as you wander along the ridge of Gate Pa.
Then it's a short drive to the northern outskirts of the city to a kiwi fruit orchard where the guide will give you a short talk on this most iconic New Zealand fruit, perhaps while you enjoy a freshly made fruit ice-cream which can be purchased at their shop.
After the orchard visit, you then head up into the hills which surround Tauranga to a lookout point where you will see stunning views of the city, the harbor and the surrounding region and your cruise ship visible at the base of The Mount.
Your final stop on the tour is the Elms Mission Station, one of New Zealand's most important historic buildings. Here, after a short introduction by one of the volunteer guides, you will be able to walk through the grounds and learn about the life of the area's earliest settlers, the Reverend Brown and what a significant part the Mission Station played in the history of Tauranga. Then board the coach for the short drive back over the harbor bridge to your ship.
Please note that the order of the tour may vary on certain days.
Inclusions for Shore Excursion: Tauranga Highlights Including The Elms Mission Station
- Experienced and professional driver/guide
- Entry and guided tour of The Elms Mission Station Grounds
- Air-conditioned transport
- Port pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Shore Excursion: Tauranga Highlights Including The Elms Mission Station
- Personal expenses
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This is a general sightseeing trip with almost no walking required
Infants 0 to 3 may travel free if seated on parents lap
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.