Shore Excursion: Te Puia, Jet Boat And Mokoia Island From Tauranga
OverviewCulture, geothermals, exhilaration, kiwifruit and beautiful scenery await you on this unique small group tour of Rotorua that provides something for the whole family to enjoy. You will see Pohutu Geyser, pools of bubbling mud, a Maori concert including the haka, artisans at work with flax and wood plus iconic Rotorua scenery, and take a jetboat ride to the private owned nature reserve and bird sanctuary of Mokoia Island which is unspoiled conservation land where only a few are privileged to step foot on it.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Fully narrated tour
- Small group ensures personal service
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
Know More about this tourDepart Tauranga for Rotorua, passing through Te Puke, the home of the New Zealand Kiwifruit. See kiwifruit hanging from the vines as you drive through this rural farming town.
Then our route continues through farmland, native bush and forested areas, passing by Lake Rotoiti and Lake Rotorua before arriving at Te Whakarewarewa - Te Puia.
Te Puia, the home of the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute and the location of the famous PohutuGeyser. We visit the carving school and see craftsman fashion traditional wood carvings, then move on to watch Maori women demonstrate flax weaving.
A short walk through the geothermal valley of Whakarewarewa to view the mud pools, the famous Pohutu Geyser and hot pools that make Te Puia unique. See New Zealand's iconic flightless bird, the Kiwi in a purpose built kiwi-house. Explore the recreated traditional Maori fortified village.
A Maori Cultural Performance will be given on the Marae, in one of the few fully carved meeting houses in New Zealand, a place of special spiritual significance to Maori. Here you will see the traditional songs, dances and demonstrations of fighting skills (including the Haka) performed. There is time at Te Puia to enjoy a light lunch at their cafe (own expense).
After lunch we drive through through Rotorua City to see the Government Gardens, the Rotorua Bath House [now a museum], Rachel's Pool, the Blue Baths, the Polynesian Spa and other city sights depending on the time available before the second highlight of the day, an exhilarating Jet Boat ride across Lake Rotorua to Mokoia Island.
Located in the middle of the lake, Mokoia Island is the site of one of our country's most famous love stories and the home of some of our most notorious Maori warriors and tribes. This beautiful and tranquil island features heavily in in many local stories and historical events, as you would have heard during the concert at Te Puia earlier. Of particular interest to geographers, it is a Rhyolite Lava Dome rising up to 180m above the lake surface.
Mokoia Island is a wildlife sanctuary and is home to approximately 25 Kiwi, 5 endangered species, 20 protected species and over 40 common species. The birds flourish in this predator free environment, filling the canopy with their songs and a short guided walk through the forest should let you hear some of these birds.
The island's foreshores are littered with natural, geothermal springs, including the famous Hinemoa's Hot Pool, which you will visit on the short walk on the island before the Jet Boat ride back to Rotorua.
The tour then departs Rotorua for the return to Tauranga. On the way we tour through Mount Maunganui to view its famous ocean beaches, harbour and the iconic Mount Maunganui, an extinct volcanic core, which gives the area
Inclusions for Shore Excursion: Te Puia, Jet Boat And Mokoia Island From Tauranga
- Professional and knowledgeable driver/guide
- Entry toTe Puia
- Maori Cultural Performance
- Jet boat ride on Lake Rotorua
- Guided walk on Mokoia Island
- Port pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Shore Excursion: Te Puia, Jet Boat And Mokoia Island From Tauranga
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This tour requires some walking on well made paths, gentle inclines, and some stairs
This tour is not suitable for users of mobility scooters [unless very small collapsible ones] or electric wheelchairs. Folding manual wheelchairs can be accommodated, but passengers must be able to enter a coach or minibus using the standard steps. Our staff can assist
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Wairoa River Kayak Tour
- Tauranga Shore Excursion: Scenic Lake McLaren Kayak Tour
- Tauranga Shore Excursion: Waimarino Adventure Park
- Shore Excursion: Rotorua Including Te Puia and Polynesian Spa from Tauranga
- Shore Excursion: Rotorua Including Te Puia and Agrodome from Tauranga
- Full-Day Shore Excursion: Hobbiton and Te Puia Combo
- Shore Excursion: Rotorua City Hop-On Hop-Off Tour from Tauranga
- Tauranga Shore Excursion: Rotorua Highlights Including Whakarewarewa