OverviewUncover ancient history and diverse wildlife on this small-group day trip from Avignon to Aigues-Mortes, Camargue and Arles. Wander the cobbled streets of Aigues-Mortes and take a train through the salt marshes outside the city with an expert guide. Enjoy free time to explore Les Saintes Maries de la Mer and the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Arles at your leisure. Marvel at wildlife including the herons, swans, flamingos and bulls for which the Camargue is famous. Your tour size is limited to eight to ensure a more personalized experience.
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Small-group tour by minibus
- Hotel pickup included
Know More about this tourEnjoy a convenient morning pickup from your Avignon hotel, then meet your guide and hop aboard your air-conditioned minivan for the drive out into the Camargue countryside. Home to ancient settlements and a huge variety of wildlife including over 400 different species of birds, the Camargue is widely considered among the most beautiful corners of the country.
First, travel to the medieval walled city of Aigues-Mortes, one of the finest examples of 13th-century military architecture in Europe. Wander along the cobbled streets with your guide, learn of the citys fascinating past and see top sights such as the Eglise Notre-Dame des Sablons.
Hop aboard a train and head out onto the salt marshes outside the city, where salt has been harvested since the 8th century. During your 1-hour train trip through the marshes, listen as your guide explains how the salt is harvested and gain insight into why the seawater here is a peculiar shade of pink.
Back in Aigues-Mortes, enjoy free time for lunch at one of the traditional cafs or restaurants (own expense) then cross the Petit Rhne River by cable-ferry on your way to the seaside village of Les Saintes Maries de la Mer.
Explore Les Saintes Maries de la Mer at your leisure and dont forget to visit its impressive church, a popular pilgrimage site for centuries. Perhaps take the opportunity to climb up to the ramparts encircling the churchs roof (own expense) and admire panoramic views out over the Camargue plain. If that sounds like a little too much effort, simply spend your free time relaxing on the beach or bathing in the cool Mediterranean Sea.
Continue on through the Camargue to the UNESCO-listed town of Arles, by the banks of the mighty Rhne River. Admire diverse birdlife such as egrets, grey herons, swans and pink flamingos on route, and wildlife like black bulls and white horses.
In Arles, make the most of the free time to explore at your leisure. Discover a wealth of important Roman remnants including the 1st-century Arles Amphitheatre (own expense) or simply sit in the sunshine and soak up the atmosphere. Choose also to visit the Muse de l'Arles et de la Provence Antique or Eglise St-Trophime. Entrance fees are all at your own expense.
When the time comes, hop back aboard your minivan for the return journey to Avignon, where your day trip concludes.
Inclusions for Small-Group Arles, Camargue And Aigues-Mortes Day Trip From Avignon
- Hotel pickup
- Expert guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- 1-hour train ride across the salt marshes
Exclusions for Small-Group Arles, Camargue And Aigues-Mortes Day Trip From Avignon
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Entrance to the rooftop walkway at Saintes Maries de la Mer church
- Entrance to the Roman amphitheatre in Arles
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.