Small-Group Historical Macetown 4WD Tour From QueenstownWrite a Review
OverviewA real 4WD off road adventure which explores the historic gold mining town of Macetown. This ghost town from the gold rush era is now a Department of Conservation reserve, accessible only by 4WD. The road winds from river level to high above the Arrow Gorge, offering over 25 river crossings en route, ever changing views, and the chance to gold pan in the Arrow River.
- Get off the beaten track in a 4x4
- Small-group tour
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourExperience the narrow rugged road to the old gold mining town of Macetown, in a 4WD vehicle, crossing the Arrow River over 20 times each way. Immerse yourself in the history of this fascinating region by panning for gold while our knowledgeable guides describe the hardship and exhilaration the miners faced.
This tour departs from your local Queenstown accommodation, heading out towards the picturesque town of Arrowtown. Pass the historic Chinese Settlers Village and the filming location of the “Ford of Bruinen” in The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Travel the road to Macetown along the Arrow River, enjoying a real off road experience with over 20 thrilling river crossings. Once in Macetown explore the remains of the township including a restored bakery, stone cottage and the only stamping battery with an iron frame in Otago.
On the journey back along the Macetown track, try your hand at some gold panning. Your guide will teach you the techniques to pan for gold and feel a sense of the excitement that drew many people to this area during the gold rush of the 1800s.
Guarantee forward facing seats with only 4 pax maximum per vehicle.
Inclusions for Small-Group Historical Macetown 4WD Tour From Queenstown
- Small-group tour
- Transport by 4WD vehicle
- Light refreshments (including tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit cake and cookies)
- Pickup from central Queenstown accommodations is included. Surround suburbs (Kelvin Heights, Frankton, Arthur's Point, Fernhill and others) by arrangement. Please contact to reconfirm pick up arrangement and time.
Exclusions for Small-Group Historical Macetown 4WD Tour From Queenstown
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Minimum numbers apply (min 2 per tour for confirmed departure, min 4 on NZ public holidays). There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.