Small-Group Tour: Colosseum Underground - Rome
OverviewThe Underground Level of the Colosseum has not been used for 1700 years. Now it is open and you can visit the very place where gladiators prepared for their thrilling games, and where lions, wolves, ostriches and other wild animals were kept before they were lifted up from the bowels of the Colosseum and disgorged into the arena. We’ll explore the Colosseum, highlighting the Underground Level, the Arena Level and the Third Tier–areas. From the Third Tier, you’ll have a panoramic view of Ancient Rome before we walk down through the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill, the very center of the ancient city with its magnificent buildings. This is a 4-hour small-group tour with a maximum of 12 people for all its duration.
- Skip the line
- All entrance fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourBegin your tour at the Colosseum. Follow your guide into the ancient structure's Undergrounds, where gladiators could once hear the cheering of the crowd. See the newly constructed timber elevator for a glimpse at how the Romans hoisted animals up to the arena level. There were 28 of these elevators in the Colosseum, each powered by eight people. During this part of the tour your will walk on the fight arena where gladiators once fought.
Afterward, follow your guide to the Roman Forum, the center of life in Ancient Rome where people conducted business, sought justice, and discussed politics and philosophy. Off the Via Sacra the street diving the Forum visit the altar where Caesar was cremated.
Continue to the Temple of the Vestal Virgins, where virgins tended the eternal flame, ensuring the fortune and glory of Rome, and to the Senate building. See two magnificent arches: the white marble Arch of Septimius Severus and the Arch of Constantine. Constantines arch marks the emperors victory over the pagans and the moment when Christianity became the religion of the Empire.
Then head to Palatine Hill, where the She-Wolf Lupa nursed the twin founders of Rome: Romulus and Remus. It is the oldest part of Rome and the area later favored by Romes richest and most powerful families.
After four hours of history and sightseeing, your tour will conclude back at the Colosseum.
This is a tour of maximum 12 people for the whole duration of the tour (the whole ancient city: Roman Forum and Palatine Hill), except inside the Colosseum. In compliance with the Colosseum Administration's rules, we will be in a group of 24 when exploring the famous amphitheater.
Inclusions for Small-Group Tour: Colosseum Underground
- Professional guide
- Small-group tour
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Small-Group Tour: Colosseum Underground
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Colosseum and Roman Forum are ancient sites and not wheelchair friendly. We encourage those with mobility problems to book a private tour, in order to allow the guide to adapt the pace to their specific needs. This tour lasts 4 hours and a fair amount of walking is involved, including some stairs and uphill paths.
Backpacks and large bags are not allowed inside the Colosseum!! -- NB* There is no cloakroom service at the Colosseum
Please dont forget to wear comfortable shoes. Bring a hat, sunscreen lotion, and water bottles that you will be able to refill in the fountains along the path
This is a 4-hour small-group tour with a maximum of 12 people for the whole duration of the tour, except inside the Colosseum (max 24 people).
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Departure Transfer: Hotel to Rome Fiumicino Airport
- 3-Day Italy Trip: Naples, Pompeii and Amalfi
- Small-Group Cooking Lesson in Roman Countryside
- Civitavecchia Private Transfer: Civitavecchia Cruise Port to Rome Fiumicino Airport
- Florence Day Trip from Rome by High-Speed Train
- Civitavecchia Private Transfer: Rome Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia Cruise Port
- Private Departure Transfer: Hotel to Rome Ciampino Airport
- Vespa 125cc Rental Rome