Travel by van to Thuplamu pier in Khao Lak where you will be meet the speed boat to take you to the Similan Islands. Famous for the beautiful corals, white sand beaches and clear tropical waters, Similan snorkeling is definitely something do while in Thailand.
The Islands are situated 95 km north-west of Krabi and 65 km west of Khao Lak. It consists of nine densely wooded islands fringed with rocky outcrops and gorgeous beaches of fine talcum-powder-like sand forms the Similan Islands National Park. The islands are home to a huge variety of marine life of which many are rare and endangered species.
The islands are only open during late March and early April (Thailands hottest period).
Rising sea temperatures cause plankton blooms, which attracts a wealth of the larger animals into the area, resulting in chance encounters with, amongst others, schooling chevron barracuda, giant trevally, rainbow runners and reef sharks. Theres also a selection of rays including eagle, marbled and enormous but graceful and harmless mantas.
Touring by speed boat allows you to reach the Similans in the Andaman Sea north of Phuket in 90 minutes, providing lots of time to explore the underwater scenery in one of the world's premier dive sites. You will visit the Island No 4 (Miang Island), Island No 5-6, Island No 8 (Similan Island), and Island No 9 (Bangu Island).
Clear waters, healthy coral and plentiful fish, the Similan Islands are perfect for the beginner and experienced snorkeler.
- 6am - 6:30am: Hotel pickup in Krabi
- 6:30am - 8:30am: Depart by minivan from Krabi to Khao Lak
- 8:30am - 9am: Have coffee & light breakfast at Thap Lamu Pier
- 9am - 10:30am: Depart by speed boat to Similan Islands
- 10:30am - 11:30am: Sightseeing & swimming at Miang Island (Koh 4)
- 11:30am - 12pm: Lunch at the beach
- 12pm - 1pm: Snorkel & swim at Payu Island (Koh 7)
- 1pm - 2pm: More snorkeling at Ba-ngu Island (Koh 9)
- 2pm - 3pm: Relax at the beach of Similan Island (Koh 8), climb to the viewpoint at Sailing Rock
- 3pm - 4:15pm: Depart from Similan Island to Thap Lamu Pier
- 4:15pm - 6:15pm: Drive from Thap Lamu Pier back to Krabi
- 6:15pm - 6:45pm: Transfer to hotel in Krabi