South East Tour Sunday Flea Market From Funchal
OverviewVisit All the local Villages on the southeast coast with a stop at the eastern most point of the island.On Sundays mornings we visit the flea market in Santo da Serra
- Small-group tour
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Excellent value for money
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourThe South East Tour starts with the pickup from your Hotel at 14h30 on Fridays, and 9h30 on Sundays.
Garajau is Portuguese for tern and the village is named after the attractive black-headed seabirds. Garajaus prominent landmark is the huge statue of Christ, which was erected in 1927. It is a replica of the Christ, in Rio de Janeiro and Lisbon. It offers fine views of Funchal and of passing cruises heading for the harbour.
Your next first stop is to the town next to the Airport, Santa Cruz. It is a rewarding place for a short stay. The pebbled beach is lined with large palm trees and the colourful fishing boats lay between them. The market hall is famous for its fresh fish, unimaginable fruit and vegetables. There is a large tiled frieze at the entrance depicting the fishermen. The white attractive church is from the sixteenth century and is well preserved. From Santa Cruz we head to Machico
Machicos bay was the first place where Zarco and Tristo Vaz Teixeira landed when Madeira was discovered. It has an uncommonly shaped valley, which looks as if a balcony overlookes the sea and the mountains, in a municipality with great abundance in water. The sugar cane crops and its mills activities made it become very important for Madeiras economy until the 17th century. The eastern side of Machico bay is dominated by Pico do Facho a 320 mts (1050 ft) a high peak. It was named after the beacon (facho) that used to be lit here to warn residents of approaching pirates
Ponta de So Loreno. The eastern most point of the island. The area around Canial and Sao Loreno has a similar climate to that of the island of Porto Santo. It is noticeable that the nature vegetation is different here .The north and south coast can be seen simultaneously. On a clear day Porto Santo can also be seen. Beautiful rock formation can be found in this region and one of the coast plants, the ice plant
The tour now continues in direction of Santo da Serra. Along an endless stretch of winding road a forest can be seen, and below local farmers grow fruit and vegetables. Santo da Serra is where the wealthiest residents of the island, particularly the rich British, built their weekend villas. One of the golf courses is located here, and it holds the PGA Tour of Madeira. A cobbled path leads up to the grounds of Quinta da Serra. A pink coloured mansion, once property of the Blandy family can be seen. The quinta is state owned
On Sundays mornings we visit the Sunday flea market.
Inclusions for South East Tour Sunday Flea Market From Funchal
- Small-group tour
- Professional guide
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Hotel/port pickup and drop-off ( Free for hotels in Funchal)
Exclusions for South East Tour Sunday Flea Market From Funchal
- Does not include pickup from theCruise Ship Port(requires extra fee of 5 pp)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.