Soviet Secrets Of Riga With A Local Guide
OverviewRigas Soviet days may be over, but there are still lots of hard memories tucked away in the citys streets. Find out what it was like to live under Russian rule during those tumultuous years, as you explore neighbourhoods and visit sites where it feels like time has stood still.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Family friendly
- Get inside tips from a local
- Small group ensures personal service
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tour
Ever wondered how life was lived under Soviet or Nazi occupation? This is your chance to get a taste of the Latvia Occupation era and learn about the past life of Riga.
On this Riga tour, you'll explore a whole different side to the city by visiting sites and areas that still hold the hard memories of the occupation era in Latvia. Youll learn about daily life in occupied Latvia and get to know more about the country's history under the Russian and Nazi regimes.
On the eve of World War II, Russia made its move into the Baltics and Finland, and by 1940, Latvia was part of the USSR. The Russians quickly started deporting anyone who posed a threat to the new regime. But the Russians were quickly replaced by the Germans, who forced many Latvians to fight against the Russians, who still had a lot of Latvian soldiers in their army. Sucked into a war between super powers, Latvians were forced to fight against each other in a war they didn't ask for.
After the war, Latvia once again became part of the USSR and Russia continued it mass deportations to Siberia, in an attempt to decrease Latvian resistance. Groups of Russians came to settle in Latvia and thousands of Russian descendants continue to live in Latvia to this day.
Your tour begins with a visit to the Riga Panorama Observation deck at a building often called Stalins birthday cake one of the few sites standing from Soviet times. From this high perch your guide will give you an overview of the city, pointing out most famous sites of Soviet times, such as the Riga TV tower and a blockhouse area called Kengarags.
Back on ground level, well have a short stroll through the Riga Ghetto museum and Riga Central Market, where you can get a closer view of areas that havent changed much since 1990.
Afterwards, well move towards the Old Town to visit more sites that are connected to the time of occupation. Before visiting the Museum of Occupation, well enjoy a Soviet-style snack and drink in a true Soviet-style caf and bar.
Well finish your Riga tour at the KGB building one of the darkest places in Latvia, the so-called Checka. If youre brave enough, after visiting the main exhibition, you can even explore the basements prison cells (not included in tour price).
Inclusions for Soviet Secrets Of Riga With A Local Guide
- Local English-speaking guide
- Entrance fee to observation deck
- 1 Soviet-style snack and drink.
Exclusions for Soviet Secrets Of Riga With A Local Guide
- Additional Food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Visit to KGB building basement prison cells (5 EUR/person)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please wear casual clothing and comfortable shoes for walking. Note that Riga can be quite cold in the winter months, so please dress accordingly
For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.