Soviet Secrets Of Riga With A Local GuideWrite a Review
OverviewRigaâs Soviet days may be over, but there are still lots of hard memories tucked away in the cityâs streets. Find out what it was like to live under Russian rule during those tumultuous years, as you explore neighbourhoods and visit sites where it feels like time has stood still.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Family friendly
- Get inside tips from a local
- Small group ensures personal service
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tour
Ever wondered how life was lived in the USSR? This is your chance to get a taste of the Soviet era and learn about the past life of Riga.
On this Riga tour, you'll explore a whole different side to the city â in an area where time has stood still. Youâll learn about daily life in soviet Latvia and get to know more about the country's history under the Russian regime. During your tour you will see a few famous landmarks, get a tour inside of one of Riga's biggest socialist architectural structures, and visit a true Russian neighbourhood where life hasn't changed much since the wall fell in '89.
On the eve of World War II, Russia made its move into the Baltics and Finland, and by 1940, Latvia was part of the USSR. The Russians quickly started deporting anyone who posed a threat to the new regime. But the Russians were quickly replaced by the Germans, who forced many Latvians to fight against the Russians, who still had a lot of Latvian soldiers in their army. Sucked into a war between super powers, Latvians were forced to fight against each other in a war they didn't ask for.
After the war, Latvia once again became part of the USSR and Russia continued it mass deportations to Siberia, in an attempt to decrease Latvian resistance. Groups of Russians came to settle in Latvia and thousands of Russian descendants continue to live in Latvia to this day.
Today, there are still many interesting sites left over from the soviet era that can be visited, such as the Irbene Telescope, the bomb shelters, and the communication tower in Riga.
Youâll learn about all this history and more on this soviet-inspired Riga tour. Youâll get an in-depth look at an often overlooked part of the city, as you learn about daily neighbourhood life in soviet times. Weâll walk through a maze of small streets and between market stalls, past decaying wooden houses and soviet blocks. Youâll taste local specialities and discover what remains of the cityâs Soviet days.
Weâll finish up our Riga tour with a drink in a true soviet-style cafÃ© and bar, if you prefer, or at the "Laima" clock near the Monument of Freedom. From there, youâll be free to explore more on your own (maybe hop on our Breweries & Pub Tour!), or head out for dinner and drinks at a nearby place â your guide will have places to recommend! Nazdrovje!
Inclusions for Soviet Secrets Of Riga With A Local Guide
- Local English-speaking guide
Exclusions for Soviet Secrets Of Riga With A Local Guide
- Entrance fees (there is a EUR 5 fee to enter one of the socialist buildings we see on the tour, which you may choose to do)
- Food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please wear casual clothing and comfortable shoes for walking. Note that Riga can be quite cold in the winter months, so please dress accordingly
For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.