Split Shore Excursion: Diocletian Palace Walking Tour
OverviewWhen your cruise ship docks in Split Port, head back in time on a 1.5-hour walking tour of Diocletian Palace! Once an Imperial residence, the impressive palace complex grew to become a city within a city, resplendent with Romanesque churches, temples, squares and even its own cathedral. See the highlights of this UNESCO World Heritage-listed palace complex, including the cellars, Peristyle Square, the Temple of Jupiter and the beautiful Cathedral of St Duje.
- All entrance fees included
- Fully narrated tour
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tourWhen your cruise ship docks in Split Port, take a stroll over to Diocletian's Palace and meet your guide by the palace cellars. Head inside with your small group and start discovering the delights of the incredible palatial ruins Splits UNESCO World Heritage site.
Originally built for the Roman Emperor Diocletian, the palace gradually became more like a city within a city, as more and more was added to it. As it stands today, the ruins comprise a mix of architectural styles, with influences harking back to the Roman Empire, as well as the Middle Ages, Gothic and baroque periods.
Start with a tour of the cellars to discover how life in the palace was organized during the Middle Ages while wandering through the labyrinth of tunnels. Come out of the cellars into Peristyle Square, at the heart of the palace complex. Walk around, seeing Roman ruins sitting side-by-side with bustling shops and coffee bars, and then pose for pictures outside the majestic Cathedral of St Duje named after the citys patron saint.
Nearby is the Temple of Jupiter, so wander over to it next, and admire its headless sphinx that guards the entrance a feature imported from Egypt around the 5th century. Continue walking around the complex and see the gates that once served as entranceways to the palace itself; there are four in total, but the Silver Gate and Golden Gate are easily the most impressive.
Your tour finishes at Split Market, and your guide will happily give tips for the best stalls to visit. Explore at leisure, browsing the colorful shops for artisan jewelry and crafts work, or for souvenirs of Splits unforgettable Diocletian's Palace.
Worry-Free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your excursion ends with ample time for you to return to Split Port for your ships departure. In the extremely unlikely event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Inclusions for Split Shore Excursion: Diocletian Palace Walking Tour
- Local guide
- Entrance fee to Diocletian Palace
- Worry-free Shore Excursion Guarantee
Exclusions for Split Shore Excursion: Diocletian Palace Walking Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Port pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Full-Day Mega Catamaran Excursion to Bol Including Golden Horn
- Guided Tour: Highlights of Split by Rickshaw
- Private Boat Tour to Blue Lagoon and Solta from Trogir and Split
- Blue Lagoon and Solta Private Boat Tour from Trogir and Split
- Stand Up Paddle Board in Split
- Private Speed Boat Transfer from Split Airport to Hvar
- Private Speedboat Transfer from Split Airport to Hvar
- Private Dubrovnik Day Tour from Split