Split Walking Tour Of Gertrude Belle: The Queen Of The Desert In DalmatiaWrite a Review
Did you see film The Queen of Desert with Nicole Kidman? This is part of the story about Gertrude Belle. The Queen of Desert visited also Dalmatia.
Her extraordinary life was like a film. British Gertrude Bell was traveller, writer, archaeologist, explorer, cartographer and political officer. She was one of the most powerful woman in the British Empire in the early 20th century, yet she has been overlooked in much of the history written about this period.
Her friends were among others Sheikhs in the Middle East ("MajorÂ Miss Bell" is still a name in Baghdad), Winston Churchill and Lawrence of Arabia.
In 1910 she decided to come to Dalmatia. Through her letters today we know that she was in Split, ruins of ancient Salona, Sibenik and Zadar. She left us also beautiful photographs in the beginning of 20th century.
- All entrance fees included
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tour
Visit the same places which the greatest adventurous woman of her age see. Â Your walking tour in the footsteps of Gertrude Bell in Dalmatia are:
1. Split with incredible palace of Roman emperor Diocletian (UNESCO) and the Museum ofÂ Archaeology
âI walked through the palace of Diocletian - oh, I suppose you know all about this place? The greater part of the town is built inside the great palace which Diocletian made for himself after his abdication. He was a native of Salona, hard by, and he came back so to speak to his native place to spend the 12 years that remained to him of life after he ceased ruling over the world. He was still alive when Constantine reversed the policy of his whole reign by embracing Christianity. He died here, and was buried in the great mausoleum which is now the Duomo of Spalato.â [Gertrude Bell, Letter 1/4/1910, http://www.gerty.ncl.ac.uk/]
2.Â Ancient Salona where she spent a lot of time with one of the most important Croatian archaeologist â priest Frane BuliÄ
âI are going to Salona tomorrow to see some extraordinarily interesting early Christian basilicas which Bulic has excavated.â [Gertrude Bell, Letter 2/4/1910, http://www.gerty.ncl.ac.uk/]
Â âBuliÄ never stops talking, bless him, and he loaded me with books and invited me to join him in an expedition next day to Sebenicoâ [Gertrude Bell, Letter 1/4/1910, http://www.gerty.ncl.ac.uk/]
Inclusions for Split Walking Tour Of Gertrude Belle: The Queen Of The Desert In Dalmatia
- Entrance fees
- Local taxes
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Split Walking Tour Of Gertrude Belle: The Queen Of The Desert In Dalmatia
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Transportation to/from attractions
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.