Split: War And History Walking Tour With Picnic In The Park
OverviewTake a trip through time on an historical tour of Split that goes from the days of Diocletian to the fall of Yugoslavia. Chat with a local who saw the 90s conflicts first-hand, and share stories of Croatian culture over a tasty picnic in the park.
- Excellent value for money
- Free snacks included
- Includes free admission to top local attractions
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tour
From the ancient Roman era to the 1990s fall of Yugoslavia, theres a lot of history to discover in Croatia and were cramming it all in on this epic Split tour that takes you time-travelling through more than 2,000 years of history.
The Roman emperor Diocletian landed in the pages of history as a great reformer, and an enlightened mind who was not afraid of changes or their consequences. Yet some might say Diocletians most notable move wasnt his many reforms, but the fact that he voluntarily resigned and retired at the end of his 21-year reign, something unheard of among Roman rulers. Well learn about the legacy left by the emperor with a visit to the monumental Diocletians Palace. This UNESCO World Heritage site has stood as a witness to many changes in Splits history, and youll learn surprising facts about the palace grounds like how the ancient property is still inhabited today.
Well then fast-forward to Croatias modern history, with the Yugoslavian break-up and the War of Independence. It was a time when brave people fought for their freedom and werent afraid of the consequences much like ancient Diocletian, who had left his mark on the Balkans so many years before. This era brought in a clear vision of what the new state would be, and kick-started deep political reforms that would forever change the future of this region.
But dont worry, were not going to make this Split tour just a history lecture! Instead, were going to have a conversation about all of it, over a picnic in the most beautiful park in Split. Youll get to try a few traditional Dalmatian dishes as you chat with your local guide about Croatias past, present, and future.
Inclusions for Split: War And History Walking Tour With Picnic In The Park
- Local English-speaking guide
Entrance fees to the cathedral/mausoleum and underground of the palace
Delicious snacks on a picnic
Exclusions for Split: War And History Walking Tour With Picnic In The Park
- Additional food and drinks
Items of a personal nature
Tips/gratuities for your guide
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Both men and women should bring modest clothing that covers your knees and shoulders if they wish to enter the cathedral. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended for this tour.
For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select child above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if youll be bringing a child under the age of 6
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Full-Day Mega Catamaran Excursion to Bol Including Golden Horn
- Guided Tour: Highlights of Split by Rickshaw
- Private Boat Tour to Blue Lagoon and Solta from Trogir and Split
- Blue Lagoon and Solta Private Boat Tour from Trogir and Split
- Stand Up Paddle Board in Split
- Private Speed Boat Transfer from Split Airport to Hvar
- Private Speedboat Transfer from Split Airport to Hvar
- Private Dubrovnik Day Tour from Split