OverviewSt Maarten/St Martin has a unique and fascinating history. This Dutch and French Caribbean island is the smallest island divided by two nations, and makes up for some interesting stories. This Half-day history tour of Dutch St Maarten and French St Martin takes you around the entire island while visiting historic landmarks and beautiful viewpoints. With a maximum of 6 guests per group, you'll receive personalized attention from your guide. Learn about St Maarten/ St Martin’s culture, geological and natural history.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Small-group tour
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourThis History Tour starts from a parking lot next to the cruise ship terminal in Philipsburg. Hotel guests in Philipsburg and Oyster Pond enjoy a free pick up.
The first stop is at a viewpoint overlooking Philipsburg and Great Salt Pond, where your knowledgeable guide will tell you why the Dutch and the French came to St Martin, and how they ended up dividing this small island together. At this stop you'll also learn about St Martin's geography.
You'll stop at two forts: Fort Amsterdam in Philipsburg and Fort Louis in Marigot where you'll learn about the battles that have taken place between different nations who were fighting for the island's resources over the centuries. Please be aware that both forts are located on top of hills, visiting them involves a 10 minute uphill walk twice.
Touching on St Martin's colonial and slavery history you'll visit a former plantation, where you'll also have an iced tea or coffee break with homemade banana bread.
This tour is a great way to get to know the island, to see both the French and Dutch side and learn all about its fascinating local history and current politics.
This tour is not suited for people who have problems walking on uneven and sloping terrain. Please be aware there will be two 10 minute uphill walks to visit the forts.
Inclusions for St Maarten History Tour
- Bottled water
- Iced tea, coffee, and cake
- Local guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Pickup from Philipsburg and Oyster Pond
Exclusions for St Maarten History Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time, and reboarding time
For hotel guests: please be aware the tour starts in Philipsburg. If not staying in a resort in Philipsburg or Oyster Pond, arrange for transport to the starting point
At least one 15-minute uphill walk on unpaved and gravel terrain is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.