St Maarten History Tour - Philipsburg
OverviewSt Maarten/St Martin has a unique and fascinating history. This Dutch and French Caribbean island is the smallest island divided by two nations, and makes up for some interesting stories. This Half-day history tour of Dutch St Maarten and French St Martin takes you around the entire island while visiting historic landmarks and beautiful viewpoints. With a maximum of 6 guests per group, you'll receive personalized attention from your guide. Learn about St Maarten/ St Martin’s culture, geological and natural history.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Small-group tour
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourThis History Tour starts at 8.30 am from a parking lot next to the cruise ship terminal in Philipsburg and takes 4 hours. Are you a cruiser and do you have concerns regarding timing? Please read below*. Hotel guests in Philipsburg and Oyster Pond enjoy a free pick up.
The first stop is at a viewpoint overlooking Philipsburg and Great Salt Pond, where your knowledgeable guide will tell you why the Dutch and the French came to St Martin, and how they ended up dividing this small island together. At this stop you'll also learn about St Martin's geography.
You'll stop at two forts: Fort Amsterdam in Philipsburg and Fort Louis in Marigot where you'll learn about the battles that have taken place between different nations who were fighting for the island's resources over the centuries. Please be aware that both forts are located on top of hills, visiting them involves a 10 minute uphill walk.
Touching on St Martin's colonial and slavery history you'll visit a former plantation, where you'll also have an iced tea or coffee break with homemade banana bread.
This tour is a great way to get to know the island, to see both the French and Dutch side and learn all about its fascinating local history and current politics. Group size is never more than 6 guests.
*FAQ from cruise ship guests concerning timing:
My ship arrives later than 8 am, can I do a tour with you?
Yes, when making a reservation please let us know what time your ship is scheduled to dock. If its later than 8 am we will adjust the starting time of our tour so well be able to accommodate you.
Will I make it in time to your meeting point?
If your ship is docking half an hour prior to our starting time, then you will make it to our meeting point at Dock Maarten. Usually ships arrive at 8 am, so youll be in time for our 8.30 am start. Sometimes ships dont announce very clearly that you can get off the ship, just proceed to the deck where you can disembark and youll see youll be let go.
Then also: dont worry if the ship is not letting you off immediately. We know the ships in port, we know youre on it, youve paid for your tour, so we wait till you get to our meeting point. Well start the tour when you get there, youll still get the full tour even if youre half an hour late.
Will the tour be back in time for my cruise ship?
We have returned 100% of our cruise ship guests back to the ship on time. We're in business since 2014.
Inclusions for St Maarten History Tour
- Bottled water
- Iced tea, coffee, and cake
- Local guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Pickup from Philipsburg and Oyster Pond
Exclusions for St Maarten History Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time, and reboarding time
For hotel guests: please be aware the tour starts in Philipsburg. If not staying in a resort in Philipsburg or Oyster Pond, arrange for transport to the starting point
At least one 15-minute uphill walk on unpaved and gravel terrain is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Hover Board and Beach
- St Maarten Snorkeling Tour
- Philipsburg Foodie Walking Tour
- Soualiga Sky Explorer and Museum
- Soualiga Sky Explorer and Flying Dutchman
- Soualiga Sky Explorer Flying Dutchman and Schooner Ride
- Soualiga Sky Explorer Flying Dutchman Schooner Ride and Sentry Hill Zip Line
- Soualiga Sky Explorer and Schooner Ride