OverviewHear stories of revenge, romance and Imperial aristocracy on a 2-hour evening walking tour of St Petersburg! Focusing on the eccentric St Peterburgians of bygone days, the commentary on this fascinating legends tour is rich with mystery and humor just like the city itself. Learn of the exploits of Catherine the Great and her secretive son Tsar Paul I, and see Mikhailovsky Castle (St Michaels Castle) along with lesser-celebrated gems like the diminutive Chizhyk-Pyzhik Monument.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourMeet your guide in Ostrovsky Square in central St Petersburg, and then set off on your stroll to find out about the city’s countless myths and legends. As Russia’s Imperial capital for more than 200 years, St Petersburg attracted some interesting characters, who left many a story in their wake.
Start with a look at the monument to Catherine the Great, and hear about the feisty female who presided over the city during its late 18th-century golden age. Besides being a fearsome political force who overthrew the government in a coup, the empress was popular with the men of St Petersburg. Admire her statue and see some of her more notable sweethearts – Orlov, Potemkin and Suvorov – carved around her feet.
Continue to Mikhailovsky Castle while hearing tales of its history as you walk; built for Catherine the Great’s son (the elusive Tsar Paul I), the castle was only his home for a mere 40 days before he was mysteriously murdered in his bedroom. Today, his ghost is said to haunt the castle, so look out for spooky sights as you walk around the outside of the building.
Leave the castle and walk to the nearby Chizhyk-Pyzhik Monument, St Petersburg’s smallest statue. Measuring a mere 4.3 inches (11cm), the miniature masterpiece overlooks a fountain where crowds gather to toss coins in for luck. Amble through one of the city’s ‘well-yards,’ where cramped houses with windows stand just a few feet from each other, creating darkness inside, and then head into Manezhnaya Ploshchad.
Known as the ‘square of the architects,’ the open space contains the busts of the notable St Petersburgian architects such as Rastrelli and Rossi, whose work you will no doubt have seen around town. Your tour then finishes with a stroll down Nevsky Prospekt in the center of town.
Inclusions for St Petersburg Myths And Legends Walking Tour
- Professional guide
Exclusions for St Petersburg Myths And Legends Walking Tour
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance to Mikhailovsky Castle
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.