St. Petersburg Small-Group State Hermitage Museum Tour With A Historical Guide - Saint Petersburg
OverviewYour 4-hour tour begins at the hotel in the center of St. Petersburg. Before your visit to the State Hermitage your historian guide will get you acquainted with many architectural and historical places on your way to the Palace Square. Although you probably heard and read a lot about this place, you can expect a profound story about the very heart of Russian Empire, because exactly from this place the Russian monarchs managed the one sixth of the planet territory. Hermitage itself does not need any advertising, but definitely in need of a professional art historian guide, since its huge museum!
- Skip the line
- Small group ensures personal service
- Ideal choice for families
Know More about this tour
Palace Square connects Nevsky Prospekt with Palace Bridge leading to Vasilievsky Island. It is the central square of St Petersburg and of the former Russian Empire. It was the setting of many events of worldwide significance, including the October coup of 1917. The earliest and most celebrated building on the square is the baroque white-and-azure Winter Palace of Russian tsars (175462), which gave the square its name. Although the adjacent buildings are designed in the Neoclassical style, they perfectly match the palace in their scale, rhythm, and monumentality.
The opposite, southern side of the square was designed in the shape of an arc by George von Velten in the late 18th century. These plans were executed half a century later, when Alexander I of Russia envisaged the square as a vast monument to the Russian victory over Napoleon and commissioned Carlo Rossi to design the bow-shaped Empire-style Building of the General Staff (181929), which centers on a double triumphal arch crowned with a Roman quadriga.
The center of the square is marked with the Alexander Column (183034), designed by Auguste de Montferrand. This red granite column (the tallest of its kind in the world) is 47.5 metres high and weighs some 500 tons. It is set so well that no attachment to the base is needed.
The eastern side of the square is occupied by Aleksander Brullow's building of the Guards Corps Headquarters (183743). The western side, however, opens towards Admiralty Square, thus making the Palace Square a vital part of the grand suite of St Petersburg squares.
The square also serves as open-air venue for concerts by international acts, including Andrea Bocelli, Roger Waters, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Duran Duran, Anastacia, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Shakira, Madonna, Sting.
The State Hermitage is a museum of art and culture. One of the largest and oldest museums in the world, it was founded in 1764 by Catherine the Great and has been open to the public since 1852. Its collections, of which only a small part is on permanent display, comprise over three million items, including the largest collection of paintings in the world. The collections occupy a large complex of six historic buildings along Palace Embankment, including the Winter Palace, a former residence of Russian emperors. Apart from them, the Menshikov Palace, Museum of Porcelain, Storage Facility at Staraya Derevnya and the eastern wing of the General Staff Building are also part of the museum. The museum has several exhibition centers abroad.
Inclusions for St. Petersburg Small-Group State Hermitage Museum Tour With A Historical Guide
- Professional art historian guide
- Hotel pickup
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for St. Petersburg Small-Group State Hermitage Museum Tour With A Historical Guide
- Hotel drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private tour: Hermitage Museum Diamond Room Tour with Hermitage Curator including All-Day Museum Admission
- St. Petersburg Romantic Evening City Tour
- Small-Group St Petersburg City Highlights Tour Including Peter and Paul Fortress and Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
- St Petersburg Shore Excursion: Visa-Free 2-Day Private Tour
- Private Cooking Class: Russian traditional Blini with red caviar and Shchi in pipkin
- Russian Bath Experience at Yamskaya Banya in St Petersburg with 3-Course Russian Lunch & Russian Vodka