OverviewSpend some time on the beat with a retired NYPD officer or detective, learning the shocking truth behind New York’s organized crime rings, white collar swindlers and modern scandals. Together you’ll visit traditional hotbeds of NYC crime like Chinatown, the Lower East Side, and a more recent addition to the list of New York’s most notorious; Wall Street. In these classic neighborhoods you’ll learn how the city shaped and was shaped by organized crime. This is the perfect experience for anyone with an interest in true crime, storytelling or the turbulent history of America’s greatest city.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Fully narrated tour
- Small-group tour
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tour
Meet your guide, a retired NYPD officer or detective, in a central New York location, and embark on a 2.5-hour tour of the Big Apple. Explore neighborhoods once home to notorious criminals, discover how various crime rings have ruled the city in waves, and listen to your guide's own anecdotes from years patrolling the streets.
Wander the Lower East Side with your small group of 15 or less participants. See tenement buildings where Irish immigrants lived in subhuman conditions, and hear about the neighborhood’s most notorious area — the Five Points — a junction so well-known for its gang crime that author Charles Dickens personally checked it out on a trip to NYC, not believing it could live up to its reputation.
Learn how during the 1900s the Italian mafia kept Little Italy in a choke hold, while extremely bloody Chinese turf wars dominated the 1970s and 80s.
From the city’s earliest ragtag gangs to the mafia empires of the 20th century, you’ll separate the truth from myths popularized by movies like Gangs of New York and TV shows like The Sopranos. Your guide will also regale you with stories about the city’s most notorious criminals, from Captain Kidd and Boss Tweed to John Gotti and Leona Helmsley.
While each neighborhood you visit is much safer today than they were in the past the question remains: has NYC really cleaned up its act? Visit lower Manhattan — particularly Wall Street and the Financial District — to get a sense of the city’s modern, white-collar crime (and learn the going rate for a get-out-of-jail-free card).
Your tour concludes in Little Italy.
Inclusions for Stories From The Dark Side Of New York City With NYPD Guide
- Guided tour by a retired NYPD Officer or detective
Exclusions for Stories From The Dark Side Of New York City With NYPD Guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This tour may not be suitable for young children, as the subject matter can be disturbing
From 01 March 2018: Meeting point change- In front of Stock Exchange on Broad Street between Wall Street and Exchange Place. The exact address is 11 Wall St, New York, NY 10005, USA.
Minimum age is 12 years
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.