Street Stories Of PalermoWrite a Review
OverviewHave a complete Sicilian experience with this tour! First visit a beautiful church and have a chance to connect with God. Feel Godfather like as you learn about Sicilian criminals, legends whose stories have passed generation to generation in Palermo. Go on for a shopping spree at the local market to take back a little Sicily with you.
- Hear the stories behind Palermo’s cast of historical characters, from revered saints to sneaky criminals
- Visit a lively local market and see how shopping day is an adventure in itself
- Step inside the spectacular Immacolata Concezione church
- Hang out at a local tavern and sample traditional Sicilian Zibibbo wine.
Know More about this tour
Your Palermo tour will officially kick off when you pass through the old city gate of Porta Carini, and it’s there that our story — complete with a cast of characters! — will begin. We’ll walk through the market, which is a story in itself, filled with all kinds of personalities — think fish mongers shouting out, locals shopping for their weekly supplies, and crowds snacking amid trays of colourful Italian produce. As you mingle with the crowd, you’ll learn the secrets of the market, like how to recognise what’s fresh versus what’s past its prime. From there, your Palermo walking tour will introduce you to our first character of the morning, the so-called “Pupa ru Capo.” This beautiful women lives in a mosaic on an old bakery wall behind a church, and it’s said that Saint Rita sometimes appears here — ghost or miracle? We’re still not sure, so you can decide!
Our Palermo tour will then take us to Piazza Beati Paoli, where you’ll learn the story of a medieval secret sect that’s been compared to the modern-day Mafia. (Don’t worry, we’ve got your back.) We’ll then move on to the Cathedral square where one of the city’s most important characters is commemorated.
The patron saint of Palermo, Santa Rosalia, is said to have retreated to a cave atop a nearby mountain, ignoring worldly possessions (and the advances of a less-than-ideal suitor), and devoting herself to god until the day she died. Hear her story at this holy spot dedicated to her life. Of course, a good story goes best with a good drink, so we’re going to stop the walk for a break at an old taverna in Ballarò Street Market. Here you’ll get to taste Zibibbo, a dry, sweet wine that originated in Sicily. You’ll also hear the story of the Duke Cagliostro, an 18th-century Palermitan man who was renowned across Europe for tricking the most influential royal families with his alleged magical powers. We’ll finish up with a walk through the fairies’ square, where men used to disappear at night and mysteriously re-appear at home a day later. Lastly, we’ll bid ciao at Piazza Bologni, one of the main squares of the city centre — from here you can spend the rest of your day exploring Palermo.
Note: Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
Inclusions for Street Stories Of Palermo
- Local English-speaking guide
- Glass of wine
- Entrance ticket to Immacolata Concezione church
Exclusions for Street Stories Of Palermo
- Additional food and drink
- Entrance tickets to monuments (except Immacolata Concezione).
- If you cancel between 0 hrs To 48 hrs before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 100%
- If you cancel between 2 days To 180 days before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 0%
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.