Suan Lahu Coffee And Tribal Experience From Chiang Mai
OverviewThis is a wonderful and enriching day in the mountains of Northern Thailand. This private tour takes you to a unique coffee plantation, north of Chiang Mai. The local Lahu tribal people run this plantation which is called Suan Lahu. Whilst here you will learn everything about growing organic coffee. You will taste this delicious coffee, help out at the farm and visit the Lahu village where most of the workers come from. You will learn about Lahu culture and history. This is a great way to understand more on the local people and to see the mountains of Northern Thailand.
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
- Lunch included
Know More about this tourOur driver will meet you at your hotel at 8:30am for our trip to the organic coffee farm Suan Lahu.
On the way you will drive past Doi Saket and onwards to the Mae Kachan Hot Springs. Just before the hot springs we will turn right and head into the mountains toward Chaesorn National Park. This is a beautiful journey and you will have time for photo stops on the way.
On arrival at Suan Lahu you will be received by your native hosts, who will brief you on Suan Lahu and organic coffee growing. A local Lahu guide will take you around the 12 hectares of coffee plantation. Arabica coffee and fruit trees make up the majority of the plantation with a forest making up the rest. The views across the plantation are amazing.
Having seen lychee, lemon and avocado trees, among others, you will have time for your first volunteer activity. There are a number of seasonal activities possible at the farm, ranging from taking care of farm animals (pigs and chicken), freeing the plants from strangulating vines, to grading, roasting, and harvesting the coffee beans. One of these activities will keep you busy until lunch time where a home made vegetarian lunch prepared by your hosts awaits you.
After lunch you will visit the Lahu Sheleh community. A sub-group of the Black Lahu, they are an ethnic minority originating from the Tibet/China border area. We will show you some old pictures of the Lahu from yesteryear and show you around Doi Mod, the community located next to the organic coffee farm. After this we will head back to the farm for the afternoons activity which can be one of your own choosing. You can join local villagers working at the farm on a seasonal basis, or support Suan Lahu project founders in their natural and cultural restoration activities. At around 4pm you will say goodbye to your hosts after an active, educational and fun day full of interesting activities, fresh air, healthy food, and the most delicious coffee. We then head back to Chiang Mai.
Inclusions for Suan Lahu Coffee And Tribal Experience From Chiang Mai
- Bottled water
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Suan Lahu Coffee And Tribal Experience From Chiang Mai
- Personal expenses or gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Dress code is formal
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.