Sutherland - Glasgow
OverviewSutherlandThe abiding memory of a visit to North West Sutherland will surely be the staggering beauty of the place.
Know More about this tour
The abiding memory of a visit to North West Sutherland will surely be the staggering beauty of the place.
This, however, is a county of contrasts and extremes. Where the railhead ends its Westward way at Lairg the mail is distributed onward by post bus. A destination fifty miles away can be quaintly described as by Lairg. All forms of marketing known to man, population bricks etc, are thrown into chaos and disarray. Postcode IV27 has probably one of the smallest populations of any in Europe but has a geographic area the size of a small country.
Contrast the sumptuous grandeur of Dunrobin Castle, home to the Dukes and Duchesses of Sutherland, their heirs and successors, to the humble crofts, many today in shameful rubble cleared by their factors to make way for sheep.
Consider then how in far-flung Assynt, in very recent times, collective action has enabled a buy back of land into ownership of the crofting community.
In common with much of the rest of Scotland the West has the most spectacular scenery. The mountains of Canisp and Suilven stand volcanic sentinels over the lovely village of Lochinver still clinging doggedly to its credentials as a fishing village. Kinlochbervie too features in this regard.
Foinaven, Arkle and Stack dominate the more northerly skyline, two of them lending their names to famous thoroughbred racehorses.
Ben Loyal serenely guards the idyllic village of Tongue. Many other peaks feature large in the landscape and delight the Munro Baggers.
Smoo Cave at Durness, Cape Wrath on the North West extremity of the mainland and the bird sanctuary of Handa Island off Scourie are all worthy contenders for some of your time.
The single track coastal route through Assynt is as picturesque as it is challenging to the motorist. Lochs More, Stack and Shin outline the homeward journey. All vie for and seek the attention of the visitor to complete a memorable day.
Inclusions for Sutherland
- Live commentary on board
- Professional guide
- Hotel/port pickup
- Hotel/port drop-off
- Live entertainment
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
Exclusions for Sutherland
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Driver will pick up from your location and drop off at your required final destination.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Loch Ness Cruise and Urquhart Castle Visit from Inverness
- Loch Ness Sightseeing Cruise Including Visit to Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness Exhibition Centre
- Caledonian Canal and Loch Ness Sightseeing Cruise including Urquhart Castle
- Loch Ness Sightseeing Cruise Including Urquhart Castle
- Loch Ness Sightseeing Cruise and Visit to Urquhart Castle
- Cruise the Caledonian Canal, Sail on Loch Ness and View Urquhart Castle
- Cruise the Caledonian Canal, Sail Loch Ness and View Urquhart Castle
- Loch Ness Speedboat Sightseeing Tour